Interfering with Norton?

Recently I've been getting notices that my Premium Malwarebytes is interfering with my Norton product. Yesterday I got a notice from Norton saying that their program wanted to delete Malwarebytes totally from my computer but did not do that task. Is this a common problem that others are experiencing when using Norton? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Hello and Welcome to Malwarebytes.

It is a common practice from Antivirus software's to mention MBAM or other security products to first uninstall them before installing their product, in your case Norton. 

Not sure what version of Norton your running, but I have several computers that run both Norton (Symantec Endpoint Protection in my case) and MBAM without any issues.  You could always add exceptions if you like to help just in case.  See below.

Please exclude the following files from your Antivirus Software (not sure what version you are using):

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude them from it as well

For 32 bit versions of Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 & Windows 8 & Windows 10:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamresearch.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamscheduler.exe

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7 / 8 & 10:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamresearch.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware \mbamscheduler.exe

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE, MBAMSERVICE.EXE and MBAMRESEARCH.EXE from it as well

Your welcome, I can't say much as far as Norton throwing up the notification.  They should both get along nicely.  If you see the message again you can let us know, or you can try the exceptions I mentioned above.  If you like you can provide the logs requested below and we can review them for you to see if we can find anything out of the ordinary.

We would need more info on the system....

Please read the following and in your next reply ATTACH the 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs
(the three files should be CheckResults.txt, FRST.txt and Addition.txt)

Thank You,

Firefox

On 2016-09-29 at 6:33 AM, dougbthom said:

Recently I've been getting notices that my Premium Malwarebytes is interfering with my Norton product. Yesterday I got a notice from Norton saying that their program wanted to delete Malwarebytes totally from my computer but did not do that task. Is this a common problem that others are experiencing when using Norton? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Hi dougbthom:

Other Norton users have noticed the same issue since Symantec started rolling out the v22.8.0.50 product update on 26-Sep-2016.  Norton v22.8 users are even being prompted to uninstall the free version of MBAM - see FattiesGoneWild's thread Norton Security 22.8.0.50 SDS definition error in the Norton forum.  Here's what I see when I run Norton's AutoFix (Help | Get Support), and Krusty13 reported in that thread that he is also being prompted to uninstall HitmanPro.Alert 3:

NIS v22_8_0 Uninstall MBAM 27 Sep 2016.png

Note that Norton users saw similar warnings in 2013 - see the old thread thread Warning NIS 20.3.0.36 NOT compatible with Malwarebytes.  That time it took over 9 pages (and 480 posts) of user comments before Symantec finally relented and removed this warning per Symantec employee Tony Weiss' 10-Jun-2013 post <here>.  I'm currently monitoring FattiesGoneWild's thread and hope it doesn't take Symantec four months to respond to user complaints this time.
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v49.0.1 * NIS v22.8.0.50 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

41 minutes ago, dougbthom said:

I decided last night to "uninstall" Malwarebytes Premium on our computers. Problem I believe is solved. The computers are running much faster. I'll monitor things for a while and may give Malwarebytes another go at some point.

Hi dougbthom:

For future reference, if you want to test for a conflict between Norton and MBAM you can go to Settings | Advanced Settings in MBAM Premium and disable Start Malwarebytes Anti-Malware with Windows and re-boot.  This will prevent MBAM Premium's real-time protection from starting at boot-up and essentially turns MBAM Premium into an on-demand scanner like the free version of MBAM that you can still launch anytime you wish to run manual scans.  If you find that Norton runs better with MBAM's real-time protection completely disabled you can selectively disable Malware Protection or Malicious Website Protection as shown below to see which real-time module is causing problems with Norton.

MBAM v2_2_1 Start With Windows.png

------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v49.0.1 * NIS v22.8.0.50 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

On 2016-09-29 at 6:33 AM, dougbthom said:

Recently I've been getting notices that my Premium Malwarebytes is interfering with my Norton product. Yesterday I got a notice from Norton saying that their program wanted to delete Malwarebytes totally from my computer...

Hi dougbthom:

From Symantec employee Gayathri_R's 03-Oct-2016 post in FattiesGoneWild's thread Norton Security 22.8.0.50 SDS definition error:

"...Our engineering team has reviewed the need to alert customers about Malwarebytes and HitmanPro.Alert upon install, and after inspecting the latest versions, we have removed these blocking alerts in the latest patch."

I tried Norton's AutoFix (Help | Get Support) after Norton's LiveUpdate ran this morning and confirmed that the warning to uninstall MBAM has been removed.

NIS v22_8_0 MBAM Warning Removed 03 Oct 2016.png

-----------

Edited by lmacri