MBAE not starting after win10 upgrade to Anniversary version

sportflyer

MBAE immediately stopped working after I upgraded to Win 10 Anniversary version yesterday.   I can't seem to remove the remaining  Folder containing the file mbae64.sys for a clean uninstall so I reinstalled the program in the existing folder. I still will not start  .  I uninstalled again and this time I used your left over file/folder removal  tool to remove all traces of MBAE. 

Please advise which version of MBAE should I use to try again . Do I need to install the s/w in a particular way to get it to work?   Thanks

• Staff

Hello Sportflyer,

You will want to use this link here:

https://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mbae

You should just be able to download it like normal. If it fails after installing that version of the product, then I want to have you collect the logs mentioned here:

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/topic/144403-readme-first-posts-here-need-to-include-mbae-logs/

That will give us more information on the issue. 

I just reinstalled MBAE using the link you provided and it is now working. MAAE is running and the icon appeared . It looks like cleaning up all remaining files and deleting the original installation folder containing mbae64.sys before reinstallation  did the trick. Hopefully it will auto start after a reboot. Tks 

• Staff

Hello Sportflyer,

Sorry for the delay in this. Like you are seeing, I am seeing the same thing in the log:

Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Protection is not started. The Anti-Exploit process will be terminated.

Did you happen to have windows updates occur prior to shutting down your computer Thursday/Friday? If so, have you rebooted your computer since then? I wanted to see if this could be due to an issue we have seen before with windows updates delaying our product from starting correctly on boot. 

Hi Rsullinger, 

I had windows 10 anniversary edition , then the problem started.

I then did a clean removal of MBAE and reinstalled latest version. That worked well for a few days until I rebooted the computer . After a reboot the problem came back again.

My wife's computer behaved the same way . 

Confused what to do next. 

• Staff

Hello Sportflyer,

Thank you for confirming that. I want to have you run a system diagnostic tool for me so I can see what else is installed that may cause this. To do this:

1: Please download FRST from the link below and save it to your desktop:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-recovery-scan-tool/

2: Double-click the purple FRST icon to run the program. Click Yes when the disclaimer appears.

3: Click the Scan button

4: When the scan has finished, it will make 2 log files in the same directory the tool is run, FRST.txt and Addition.txt. Please attach both files in your reply.

Thank you,

• Staff

Hello Jcgc50,

There is not one yet. The developer wants to have us do some troubleshooting steps for this. If you are willing, I want to have you do these troubleshooting steps as well so we can get more information on the issue. If you are willing, can you collect the FRST logs I left earlier in this thread and PM me them so I can take a look? 

Windows 10 forced the Anniversary update this morning, ugh.  So now, I'm having the same problem: can not delete mbae64.sys.  I have had this problem on both Win10 Home and Pro machines each time there is a big Win10 update.  The Unlocker utility can remove the file, although running the app and rebooting several times is often necessary.  Once mbae64.sys is deleted, the C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit directory may be removed and a clean install may proceed with no problems.

Addendum:  Tried a number of times to use Unlocker to remove mbae64.sys, unsuccessfully.  Finally renamed the file to zz.zz, restarted, and was able to delete the file and directory, and proceed with the clean install.  Everything's working fine now...until the next Win10 update.