unable to access update server

spyfox

As the title states, I haven't been able to update Malwarebytes on all 4 of my computers. I have tried doing a clean uninstall but your site that provides the download is down and I can't use it. This has been going on for 2 weeks now, and I can't believe all 4 pc's have an issue with the program ?

Hello and :welcome:, @spyfox:

Sorry you are having updating issues.  There are actually quite a few, widely different reasons for such problems.  They range from incorrect system date/time, to software conflicts, to networking issues, even to malware.  Rarely, there can be server problems.

1 minute ago, spyfox said:

I have tried doing a clean uninstall but your site that provides the download is down and I can't use it. This has been going on for 2 weeks now,

That's definitely peculiar.

I have no problem with this link to the clean-removal tool - I am able to download it just fine:

Please download mbam-clean.exe from here to your desktop and save it.

And I have no trouble with either of these links to the MBAM installer HERE or HERE.

It sounds as if something may be blocking the downloads.

We will need a bit more information in order to better assist you.

For ONE computer at a time, please follow the advice here: Diagnostic Logs

Then, please ATTACH all 3 logs to your next reply in this thread.

Thanks,

I have attached the 2 logs from Farber. For the life of me, I cannot get   mbam-check.exe . I have reset my internet connection, tried on 3 different computers, and tried all 3 browsers, firefox,chrome, and edge. I have disabled all ad blockers, anti-virus and still I cannot get that page to load. I even googled it to try and grab it from another source. 

FRST.txt

Addition.txt

• Root Admin

Hello @spyfox

The logs indicate someone has installed software to pirate the Operating System, there are also some invalid entries in the hosts file. 

As we have a policy against piracy, if you like I can assist you in removing these entries if you'd like to continue and let us help you with your computer.

Thank you

• Root Admin

Okay, let me have you start off then by running the following @spyfox

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop.
NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST or FRST64 and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system.

Run FRST or FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt). Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

fixlist.txt

Thanks

It looks as though I fixed the issue. I replaced the "hosts" file which looks like by doing that it removed all the bogus host files put there. So I can now update Malwarebytes, and can now download the mbam clean file which before would not download. Looks like those bogus host files were blocking everything. I'm going to consider the problem fixed. Thank you so much for your help.