MB Blocks \\tplinklogin.net

Aura,

Thank you for your reply. I read that thread before I posted this. However, I thought the two backslashes before tplinklogin.net made a difference. \\tplinkwifi.net doesn't work to access the USB drive attached to my router. It created a Windows 7 "Network Error - Windows cannot access \\tplinkwifi.net

smark220:

The two backslashes [ \\ ] signify a;  SMB Share, Windows NT Share or a WebDAV compliant Share.  It is part of what is called the Unified Naming Convention ( UNC ).

If a USB Hard disk or a USB Flash Drive can be "shared" on a SOHO Router, then the service is on the Intranet.  The Intranet is the Local Area Network ( LAN ) side of the Router.  If the Router LAN IP is 192.168.1.1 then you can also access the Router Share as \\192.168.1.1 .  Otherwise if the Router's name is "Ralph" then both \\Ralph and \\192.168.1.1 can access that share.

What model is you TPLINK Router ?

Thanx. - TL-WDR3600_V1_User_Guide_19100.pdf

The Router's Default IP is 192.168.0.1 and thus you can access the share by \\192.168.0.1

If you logon to the Router, you can change the name to the Router and then replace the IP address with that name.

For example of you edit the settings of the Router such that the name is now "smark220" you can access the Router as \\smark220.

Dave,

Thank you for your reply.

Actually, I can directly access the shared USB drive (volume1) with \\192.168.0.1\volume1

However, on my other network PC2 (without MB) I can use \\tplinklogin.net to access it, then map it so it's available through windows explorer.

Edited by smark220

That's because it is using a Domain Name.  Thus the OS will use DNS for Name to IP resolution and MBAM gets involved.  Change the name to a non-Domain name like "smark220" and it will use a different resolution protocol to obtain the IP address.  On Windows its called WINS which is using the NetBIOS or SMB Name

4 minutes ago, David H. Lipman said:

Change the name to a non-Domain name like "smark220" and it will use a different resolution protocol to obtain the IP address.

Dave, I'm a little lost there.I'm afraid without more detailed instructions I might disable the router functionality. 

And to be clear, the problem is accessing the USB attached to the router, not the router itself. If I rename the router, then how do I map the attached USB drive so it's accessible through explorer, etc. like a local drive?

Thanks for your patience.

No, you are accessing the Router.  There is an Operating System ( OS ) on that Router.  Part of the OS is to share the USB Port.  It can be connected to a Random Read/Random Write device such as a USB Hard Disk or a Flash Drive or it can be a USB Printer.

Thus to access the Share you use the UNC Convention of \\NAME_or_IP\Share_Name

I'll look in the PDF I attached and find the appropriate section.

I'll be back...

Without using \\tplinklogin.net how do I map the attached USB drive to make it accessible just as a local or shared network drive? \\tplinklogin.net makes the attached USB drive appear on the network as volume1. Then I can right-click and Map network drive...

For one, under Windows, you can MAP a drive letter to it.

Command Line:  Net Use Z:  \\192.168.1.0\Volume1

Or you can use the GUI.

In Windows Explorer;  Tools --> Map a Network Drive...

or

Right-Click on "Computer" or "My PC" and choose "Map a Network Drive"

Image1.jpg

If you choose "Reconnect at logon" Drive "Z:" will always be mapped to the drive connected to the Router.

Edited by David H. Lipman