Constant Update Notifications

I recently downloaded the free version of Malwarebytes directly from your website.  Now I get many notifications of successful updates--usually several within a few seconds.  This happens a few times a day.  If I click on the X to close the box, my screen briefly goes blank and totally interrupts whatever I'm doing online.  This is intrusive and disruptive.  Did I download some malware along with the program?

Thank you for your help.

djc_1

Hi:

Welcome.

2 hours ago, djc_1 said:

I recently downloaded the free version of Malwarebytes directly from your website.  Now I get many notifications of successful updates--usually several within a few seconds.  This happens a few times a day.  If I click on the X to close the box, my screen briefly goes blank and totally interrupts whatever I'm doing online.  This is intrusive and disruptive.  Did I download some malware along with the program?

Thank you for your help.

djc_1

MBAM Free is just a manual, on-demand scanner.  There ought not to be any popups or reminders, especially about automatic updates. Scheduled/automatic updates are not a feature of MBAM Free.

It sounds as if you may have (or have had) the 14-day Trial version, which is enabled by default during installation (unless the user opts out during the setup wizard)??

Can you please post back with at least a screen shot of the main program GUI/dashboard, including the ribbon at the top of the window that displays the version number/type?

Alternatively or in addition, you may wish to post back with a "CheckResults.txt" log from mbam-check, as explained here:

Please create an mbam-check log:

• Download mbam-check.exe from here and save it to your desktop
  • Double-click on mbam-check.exe to run it, it should then open a log file
  • Please do not copy and paste the entire contents of the log into your next post, instead please attach the log CheckResults.txt file which should now be located on your desktop to your next post.
  • Click on the More Reply Options button, then click on the Browse button to locate your log then click the Attach button to attach the log to your post

We'll go from there...

Thanks,

3 minutes ago, noknojon said:

I think that you have answered your own question in this post. When you "first" download a Free Version, you are offered an included option of a test for the Pro Version for a month, and it will update itself (depending on settings). We often mention that this is included and to "Refuse it" (just a simple tick) if you do not want to accept this option.

Alas, no, that's not quite the case.  The Trial version runs for 14 days, not 30.  The money-back guarantee on the purchase is 30 days.

And, after 14 days, the Trial should revert to the Free version.  There should be no more automated tasks, scans, update checks or popups. MBAM Free does not offer those features.

The behavior reported by the OP suggests that he already installed the Trial version, so he is past the point of refusing it.

The program may not have "cleanly" reverted to Free, and some of the Premium/Trial settings may have been retained.
We have seen this behavior from time to time.

That is why I requested a wee bit more data from the OP to help clarify.  The solution will likely be easy, once we know a bit more about what is going on.

Thank you,:)

Hi:

Thanks for the update.  Just to be clear, the 14-day Trial of MBAM is not an "add-on" -- it's a Trial of the full features of the Paid program that lasts for 14 days.  If the program is not activated with a valid license before it expires, the program is supposed to revert to the Free version.

Sometimes, it doesn't happen quite correctly, and some of the "Trial/Premium" settings get left behind.

Here's where it gets interesting in your case: I expected the program to GUI to say "Trial" or "Free".  Instead, it says "Premium. That means that someone has activated the program to the full, paid, Premium version with a license key.

The Premium version provides real-time protection against malware.  The Free version is just a manual, on demand scanner to remove malware already on the system.

Before we proceed, we need to know: do you want to go back to the Free version or do you want to keep the Premium version (recommended)????

Thanks!

I seem to remember filling out something to  register the program because it popped up at the end of the download.  Did I inadvertently buy it?  I haven't received a bill.  

I did pay for the full version sometime ago, and I ended up deleting it because every time it scanned, it wiped out things I wanted to keep; among other things, all the stats for the games I play.  I don't care about those anymore, but I can't stand to constant pop-up notifications.  Therefore, I'd like to revert to the free version.

What's the next step?

djc_1

Edited by djc_1

Hi:

Yes, from the data we have (the screen shot), it appears that someone did pay for a Premium license.  Naturally, we recommend that you stick with it, to provide layered, complementary protection against certain types of zero-hour and zero-day malware threats often missed by your AV.  We can certainly assist you with configuring the settings to your liking. 

Moreover, you wrote:

I ended up deleting it because every time it scanned, it wiped out things I wanted to keep;

For the record, the SCANNER is the same for Free and for Premium. The difference between Free and Premium is the real-time protection to help PREVENT infection, as well as some additional features (such as scheduled update checks and scans).  In other words, reverting to the Free version would not necessarily change how the scanner behaves. We can help you to configure MBAM's settings, either way.

Finally, when properly installed and configured from a Windows Admin account, MBAM Premium normally runs pretty silently in the background.  Most non-critical notifications and popups can be disabled.  And scheduled, automated scans that are clean generate NO popups.  Even the database update notifications can be disabled, if you wish.

>>>If you were seeing a  LOT of popups, then it might have been MBAM doing its job, or it might have been notifying you of malware or other threats, or outdated databases, etc.

The bottom line is this: you have paid for the added protection of MBAM Premium.  We would be happy to help you to configure it properly.:)

However, if you would like to go back to Free, manual, on-demand scanner only, instructions are here: MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x - EDIT: to be sure the license info is cleared from system, be sure to "deactivate" the account before uninstalling.
Please be sure to reboot when prompted by the removal tool, before reinstalling.
Important: You ought NOT to be offered another Trial when you reinstall the same program version on the same system.  However, if you *are* offered the Trial during the setup wizard, please be sure to un-tick (de-select, disable) that option.  That should get you back to the Free version.
(You might want to let someone else in your household use your Premium license.)

I hope this helps,

Edited by daledoc1
clarification

Hi, again @djc_1

Sorry for the add-on. It's late and I forgot to mention one thing....

The "Clean Reinstall" procedure mentioned in my last reply is the most assured way of getting back to MBAM Free, with no traces of the Premium version.

There *is* an easier way to do so: Open the dashboard/GUI > click "My Account" > click "Deactivate". That *ought* to do the same thing -- get you back to MBAM Free. You may wish to try that first.  If you still see traces of the Premium version after that (popups, etc), then you could do the proper clean reinstall.

Cheers,

Thank you so much for all your help.  I don't know how I ended up paying for this.  I just checked the price, and if it's correct (about $25.00) for the year, I'll just keep it.  It's so much easier than the other options.  

I just opened the program and checked the settings.  I disabled the notifications.  Is there anything else I should do to "configure it properly"?  

Thank you.

djc_1

Hi:

You are most welcome. I am glad to help.:)

I suspect that, when the 14-day Trial expired, you likely clicked on one of the buttons/links in the GUI to "upgrade" or to "restore full protection" or "upgrade now". That would have directed you to an in-app purchase of a Premium license.  But it's hard to know for sure. Someone did pay for a license, as your screenshot shows "Premium" and that it is properly activated.:)

• If you don't recall doing so, I suggest contacting either the e-commerce partner, cleverbridge, HERE or the Malwarebytes Help Desk HERE.
  • You'll want to obtain a paper trail and documentation of the transaction and of the license info, in case you ever need to reinstall MBAM or transfer the license.

The default settings are fine for most users. 
User control over "notifications" is pretty much "all or none" with the current build.  If you disable them, most non-critical notifications will be blocked (certain critical notifications will remain in place, for safety). 
Similarly, if you do not want to be notified after a successful database, you can verify that the setting is disabled in the automated scheduler (let us know if you need help doing that). 
NOTE: If you disable notifications, you'll need to keep an eye on things to make sure your scheduled tasks (update checks, scans) and protection modules are running as planned. 

If you use P2P software or Skype, those can generate frequent IP block notifications when MBAM is doing its job.  If that is an issue for you, let us know and we'll explain how to safely handle that.

If you are seeing lots of popups from MBAM, then we would need to know what they are and what they say, in order to provide specific advice. More about notifications HERE.

There is a lot more information in these links, but feel free to post back if you need more help:
More info about v2.2.1 HERE
Version 2.2.1 Release History HERE
User Guide ONLINE
User Guide PDF
FAQ: Common Questions, Issues, and their Solutions

Edited by daledoc1
clarification