Help! CPU Usage at 100% - Max'd Out

Hello and :welcome:

Please re-run [IMG] Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

• Click the History tab.
  • Click Application Logs and double-click the newest Scan Log.
  • At the bottom click Export and choose Text file.

Save the file to your desktop and include its content in your next reply.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them.
Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version. 

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.

[IMG]
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it makes also another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply.

Hello and thank you for replying so quickly. 

I re-ran the Malwarebytes and Farbar logs today (4-2), I also attached my original log from my 4-1 scan that shows the PUP files I quarantined.  I think I may have quarantined some I shouldn't have. My original 4-1 scan and quarantine was done before I posted my Topic. 

Thank you so much for your assistance.

FRST Addition Log 4-2-16.txt

FRST Log 4-2-16.txt

Malwarebytes Scan Log 4-1-16.txt

Malwarebytes Scan Log 4-2-16.txt

One thing I've noticed under the Task Manager is that there are a lot of conhost.exe & makecab.exe processes (a lot of them!) I'm not sure if that has anything to do with what is happening with my computer but they seem to be spawning and multiplying. The task manager has over 300 processes in place but I only have 1 window open.

Let me know once you've had a change to review my logs. 

Thank you so much.

Hmm, let's search deeper:

[IMG] Scan with ZOEK

Please download ZOEK by Smeenk and save it to your desktop.
Temporary disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware protection - instructions here.

• Right-click on [IMG] icon and select [IMG] Run as Administrator to start the tool.
  • Wait patiently until the main console will appear, it may take a minute or two.
  • In the main box please paste in the following script:
    Code:
    createsrpoint;
    autoclean;
    emptyclsid;
    emptyalltemp;
    ipconfig /flushdns >>"%temp%\log.txt";b
  • Make sure that Scan All Users option is checked.
  • Push Run Script and wait patiently. The scan may take a couple of minutes.
  • When the scan completes, a zoek-results logfile should open in notepad.
  • If a reboot is needed, it will be opened after it. You may also find it at your main drive (usually C:\ drive)

Upload it in your next reply.

My CPU usage slowing increases and then maxes out at 100%.  The Task Manager is currently showing 44 instances of makecab.exe and same number of conhost.exe.  I also see 12 instances of svchost.exe - and at least one using 134K which seemed high. Could any of these be the culprit?

Thanks again so much for your assistance.

Having a lot of svchost.exe running is normal. However I don't know why is this makecab.exe thing starting and causing your CPU to run at 100%. Something must be running it and probably something non-malware related.

[IMG] Scan with Farbar Recovery Scan Tool

Please re-run Farbar Recovery Scan Tool to give me a fresh look at your system.

• Right-click on [IMG] icon and select [IMG] Run as Administrator to start the tool.
    (XP users click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File).
  • Make sure that Addition.txt option is checked.

[IMG]
  • Press Scan button and wait.
  • The tool will produce two logfiles on your desktop: FRST.txt and Addition.txt.

Please attach report into your next reply.

FRST.gif Fix with Farbar Recovery Scan Tool

icon_exclaim.gif This fix was created for this user for use on that particular machine. icon_exclaim.gif

icon_exclaim.gif Running it on another one may cause damage and render the system unstable. icon_exclaim.gif

Download attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop:

Both files, FRST and fixlist.txt have to be in the same location or the fix will not work!

• Right-click on FRST.gif icon and select RunAsAdmin.jpg Run as Administrator to start the tool.
    (XP users click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File).
  • Press the Fix button just once and wait.
  • If for some reason the tool needs a restart, please make sure you let the system restart normally. After that let the tool complete its run.
  • When finished FRST will generate a log on the Desktop, called Fixlog.txt.

Please upload it to your reply.

fixlist.txt

I have attached 2 files - one with the makecab.exe properties and the other with the conhost.exe properties.  These 2 processes seem to always occur together. So if there's 30-40 of the makecab.exe's then there is usually the same number of the conhost.exe's.

File 1:
File Name: makecab properties.png
File Size: 60.9 KB
Download Link: https://www.sendspace.com/file/j7lsz2

File 2:
File Name: conhost properties.png
File Size: 55.3 KB
Download Link: https://www.sendspace.com/file/ea8uki

For Step 5, how do I make myself an owner and set the permissions?

I listed Step 5 below:

-----------------------

Create the following registry subkey:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\Version

Note To create this key, you have to be an owner of the "Component Based Servicing" key. Then, you have to then give yourself full access permissions