Does Malwarebytes antimalware protect at all against Ransomware

Not to labour a point to death but here is another example of a potentially misleading article from the marketeers.  It suggests that MBAE protects against a certain threat - I am sure it does and have no gripe with that.  It makes no mention of MBAM and therefore one might rightfully conclude that MBAM will not protect you from this threat.  A previous comment in this thread told me that if Malwarebytes "knows about it" then both MBAM and MBAE will protect me against a threat.  If that is the case then why doesn't the article mention that MBAM and MBAE BOTH protect against the threat??

Article:  https://blog.malwarebytes.org/threat-analysis/exploits-threat-analysis/2016/04/malvertising-on-the-pirate-bay-drops-ransomware/ 

On 3/24/2016 at 2:13 PM, smipx013 said:

If this is the case then are we going to end up in a situation where we have to have and AV + MBAM + MBARW + other programs for future issues?

Should already be AV-MBAM-MBAE. Anti rootkit will be incorporated in to MBAM once it is out of BETA and STABLE.

Oh - OK.  

That's going to cause some issues with my customers for the following reasons:

1.   Cost of having to purchase, install and maintain 3 separate tools.  Many of these users are pretty clueless when it comes to malware and the cost of at least £50 per year on top of an antivirus will be hard for them to swallow.

2.   The specification of computer needs to be quite high to run AV + MBAM + MBAE so good pretection will rely on mid to top end equipment. Many customers have machines that are already "average" in terms of performance.  In many cases I already have them take off Trusteer Rapport due to the massive perfomance impact it has on machines for little or no extra protection (so long as they have a good AV and MBAM)

I appreciate that for most people on here it will not be an issue but if you look at the population as a whole it really will be.

cheers,

Paul