Trojan.Banker possibly false positive

John A

See attached log file

Hi I got same problem in my desktop PC with XP Pro SP 3. (32 bit)

SUPERAntiSpyware free found no malware

PREVX 3.0 found no malware too

No malware detected in laptop with my Vista Home Premium SP 1 (32 bit), instead.

I think is a f.p too.

Registry Values Infected:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\International\W2KLpk (Trojan.Banker) -> No action taken.

same here... the one thing i can add is that this detection was part of the extra/heuristics scanning.

I got same entry when I scanned a few minutes ago and hit the removal button. My log says . . . Quarantined and deleted successfully.

I have a question: If this is a false positive, what did Malwarebytes delete and quarantine?

Blue452

XP SP3

IE6

I got same entry when I scanned a few minutes ago and hit the removal button. My log says . . . Quarantined and deleted successfully.

I have a question: If this is a false positive, what did Malwarebytes delete and quarantine?

Blue452

XP SP3

IE6

I am also running XP SP3.

Do you still have this entry in the registry?

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\International\W2KLpk

It's a registry value, the default value data of which determine whether the installation of Language Packs is allowed or prohibited.

Certain malware does set a restriction there, but that needn't be the case here.

You can simply have MBAM restore that quarantined item.

It's a registry value, the default value data of which determine whether the installation of Language Packs is allowed or prohibited.

Certain malware does set a restriction there, but that needn't be the case here.

You can simply have MBAM restore that quarantined item.

Is it also ok if you leave it deleted? I have no clue about registry stuff, so when this was detected on my system I deleted it thinking it WAS a virus and just wanted to get rid of it, but is it something I should not have deleted?

Thank You.

Is it also ok if you leave it deleted? I have no clue about registry stuff, so when this was detected on my system I deleted it thinking it WAS a virus and just wanted to get rid of it, but is it something I should not have deleted?

The "W2KLpk" DWORD value isn't always there by default. If it IS present, value data of "00000000" prevents language pack installation, and "00000001" enables it.

My guess is that, if the value is absent altogether, Language Pack installation is automatically allowed without prompt

I'd have MBAM restore the item from quarantine, then check the Registry to make sure that LP installation is prohibited.

This because there was a known Language Pack Installation vulnerability in IE (prolly fixed by now, but nevertheless...)

Alternatively (obviously only if MBAM did quarantine this item on your system), you could merge the following regfile (for XP and Vista):

Copy the text inside the 'Code' box to Notepad, and save in a location of your choice as Fix.reg (make sure you save as type: 'all files')

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\International]

"W2KLpk"=dword:00000000

Doubleclick Fix.reg, and answer yes when prompted to add its contents to the Registry

Editing the regfile by changing dword:00000000 to dword:00000001 re-enables LP Installation