Cybertris - Stealing content from Malwarebytes website for their own

Aura

Hi everyone,

A few days again, a woman named "Kathy" posted on BleepingComputer asking for advice on how to get a listing of the Antivirus and Antimalware programs of the company she works for, Cybertris. After talking for a bit, she opened a thread on BleepingComputer introducing the programs: Cybertris Antivirus Pro and Cybertris Advance Antimalware. To sum it up, the programs are a total scam. Me and Andrei_V exposed the company and the programs by testing them and seeing that they were not what the website advertised. On top of that, the Antivirus Pro and Advanced Antimalware are the same program (since I downloaded both and I got the same installer both times). Now, it's not unusual to see this going around, people advertising "World Class Leading" Antivirus and Antimalware products, that ends being a total scam. However, Andrei noticed something while skimming throught the pages of the Cybertris website, that it was stealing it's content from Malwarebytes, and apparently, other Antivirus products.

Take the following page on Cybertris website:

S36W4z4.png

Now take Malwarebytes' page on Malwarebytes Premium.

YC9IPVZ.png

Andrei wanted someone to warn you guys about this in case you wanted to take any actions and I told him I would, so there goes. If you want to read more about how Cybertris products are a scam, you can check the "product" thread that this Kathy woman created on BleepingComputer. You'll see that the scam is real.

Advance Anti-malware & Pro Antivirus 2015 by Cybertris

As I commented in the BC topic...while a lot of that kind of information is similar (and used by many security vendors), unless I missed something, I do not see where there is a direct copy of the exact wording used on Malwarebytes' website.

As such, it does not appear to be prima facie evidence of deliberate violation of law.

I'll highlight it for you.

Cybertris page: http://www.cybertris.com/absolute-silence

Employs malware removal techniques so innovative that computer technicians often recommend Cybertris Advance Anti-Malware when an antivirus can't finish the job.

Anti-Rootkit technology drills down and removes malicious rootkits, one of the most dangerous forms of malware.

Malwarebytes page: https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/premium/

Employs malware removal techniques so innovative that computer technicians often recommend Malwarebytes when an antivirus can't finish the job.

Anti-Rootkit technology drills down and removes malicious rootkits, one of the most dangerous forms of malware.

The only thing that changes is the product name. Here's another one, same page for Cybertris.

Protection: Cybertris Anti-malware protects against zero-hour malware that your current anti-malware can miss. It is a blend of heuristic and definitions-based technologies that protects against threats at zero hour, including ransomware, often before they have been identified by any other security products. And if your endpoint security fails to detect malware, our advance anti-malware will remove it completely.

Malwarebytes page: https://www.malwarebytes.org/business/antimalware/

Protects against zero-hour malware that your current anti-malware can miss

Our proprietary blend of heuristic and definitions-based technologies protects against these threats at zero hour, including ransomware, often before they have been identified by other security products. And if your endpoint security fails to detect malware, our award-winning remediation technology will remove it completely.

Do you need more proofs? Because I'm sure there's more hidden.

I by no means am defending this scaware.

What I am saying is that it may not be sufficient to prove prima facie convincing evidence of deliberate violation of law. Until that is researched and confirmed by Malwarebytes' legal team, it is not proof positive. Burden of proof is placed on the prosecution not the defendant.

Hence why am I reporting this here, so Malwarebytes' legal team can investigate. However, if you Google the parts that are copy/pasted, you'll see that only Cybertris and Malwarebytes comes up, so that's already something. I tipped them on Cybertris due to Andrei's findings, the rest if in their hands.

Aura, actually it doesn't even rise to the level of "Malwarebytes' Legal Team to decide".  Just the fact that some of the descriptional text is similar in verbiage to those words used by Malwarebytes, there is no infringement there.

Now is the time to concentrate on the software, its efficacy, their claims, business practices, etc.

This is not like previous cases you have read.  They haven't plagiarized detection code nor plagiarized a signature base.

One actually has to be careful in the words they use to bring this to attention.

"Cybertris - Stealing content from Malwarebytes website for their own"

One has to be very careful about the accuracy of that claim as if it is untrue and unfounded it may be considered libelous.  Cybertris can then claim harm to its name and brand and seek damages based upon libel.

Now is the time to concentrate on the software, its efficacy, their claims, business practices, etc.

I personally tested the software and posted all my findings in the thread over at BleepingComputer. There's false advertising in that. Also, they advertise two products at two different prices, but it's in fact the same program. Apparently, the fact that they ask for your email address, but no way to unsuscribe is also against the law (from what Andrei said, but I don't know about that). You don't need the trial key they send you via email in order to use the program, you simply have to download it and use it. Also, part of it are completely unusuable. They claim that their service is open 24/7, however we called the number and there was no reply. I could make a detailled lists of all the false claims they did. Is there any way I could report that website to the authorities or else for investigation?

... Is there any way I could report that website to the authorities or else for investigation?

You have to prove intent to defraud.  With proof, one can move to have UK VPSHosting cancel the web site.

Personally, I don't get into this level of discussion in Public Forums.

Alright I'll send them an email. Its just that I can't stand there, doing nothing when I have all the proofs I need to say that this company is actually a fraud and their programs aren't what they say they are.

Thank you for informing me David, it would be the first time I go that far to prove something.