Hacked by Cryptowall 3.0 files coding malware

hello,

one of the computer from my family has been unexpectedly attacked by a virus that codded all  needed files like. .doc, .xls, .pdf, and some graphics. The owner didn't do anything special by that time (it was about a week ago) so the attack came probably from an e-mail attachment or by a some residual  malware on the big informative Polish portal (Onet.pl)  - this is where I am writing from.

The compyter is used to run a business so I need to gain all codded files or at least try to regain them from this madness :(

Of course all over there where files indicating how to get the antidotum from hacker - simply pay the ransom of 500 USD which is not acceptable at all!

(What happened to your files ?
All of your files were protected by a strong encryption with RSA-2048 using CryptoWall 3.0.
More information about the encryption keys using RSA-2048 can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSA_(cryptosystem))... - the rest is in HELP_DECRYPT.TXT

I have read some of your topic - so basically I am familair with what may be done to the computer - I have installed all necessary software you have suggested in https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/165078-im-infected-with-cryptowall-30/, incl: also hints from (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/cryptowall-ransomware-information#list)

• Malware AM Home,
  • Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST)
  • RogueKiller - 64 bytes

I will appreciate any kind of help from your side.

Please find, all ( I hope) attached text files.

I have tried  to decode some files with R-Undelete Home - the scan resulted in more than a 1 k of files - but all were encrypted nevertheless they were deleted some months and even years ago.

Both partitions in root were infected. There is no Shadow Copy of the system nor the external copies apart from accidential files saved in mail system in mail ISP. :(

I did a restore point after the attack as no one did this before.

Regards - awaiting your help.

Raul

ListCWall.txt

27.03.2015 malwarebytes.txt

DelFix.txt

HELP_DECRYPT.TXT

FRST.txt

Addition.txt

RKreport_DEL_03272015_225226.log

RKreport_SCN_03272015_224324.log

Welcome to the forum.

Most likely the files are gone unless you pay the ransom.

I'm sure you already read this:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/cryptowall-ransomware-information#restore

================================

We can get rid of the virus:

Download the attached fixlist.txt to the same folder as FRST.exe/FRST64.exe.

Run FRST.exe/FRST64.exe and click Fix only once and wait

The tool will create a log (Fixlog.txt) in the folder, please post it to your reply.

=================================

Then...........

Please download and run ComboFix.

The most important things to remember when running it is to disable all your malware programs and run Combofix from your desktop.

Please visit this webpage for download links, and instructions for running ComboFix

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/combofix/dl/12/<---ComboFix direct download

Please make sure you click download buttons that look similar to this, not "sponsored ad links":

bleep-crop.jpg

Ensure you have disabled all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.

Information on disabling your malware programs can be found Here.

Make sure you run ComboFix from your desktop.

Give it at least 30-45 minutes to finish if needed.

Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply for further review.

---------->NOTE<----------

If you get the message Illegal operation attempted on registry key that has been marked for deletion after you run ComboFix....please reboot the computer, this should resolve the problem. You may have to do this several times if needed.

Last:

Clean out temp files:

Download TFC from here and save it to your desktop.

http://oldtimer.geekstogo.com/TFC.exe

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/tfc/dl/92/

Close any open programs and Internet browsers.

Double click TFC.exe to run it on XP (for Vista and Windows 7 right click and choose "Run as administrator") and once it opens click on the Start button on the lower left of the program to allow it to begin cleaning.

Please be patient as clearing out temp files may take a while.

Once it completes you may be prompted to restart your computer, please do so.

Once it's finished you may delete TFC.exe from your desktop or save it for later use for the cleaning of temporary files.

MrC

Sorry for the delay.

Looks Good.....How is it?????

If you would like to check for any adware while you're here:

Please download AdwCleaner from HERE or HERE to your desktop.

• Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.

Vista/Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator

• Click on the Scan button.
  • AdwCleaner will begin...be patient as the scan may take some time to complete.
  • When it's done you'll see: Pending: Please uncheck elements you don't want removed.
  • Now click on the Report button...a logfile (AdwCleaner[R0].txt) will open in Notepad for review.
  • Look over the log especially under Files/Folders for any program that may have been targeted by mistake.
  • If there's a program you may want to save, just uncheck it from AdwCleaner.
  • If you're not sure, post the log for review. (all items found are either adware/spyware/foistware)
  • If you're ready to clean it all up.....click the Clean button.
  • After rebooting, a logfile report (AdwCleaner[s0].txt) will open automatically.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that logfile in your next reply.
  • A copy of that logfile will also be saved in the C:\AdwCleaner folder.
  • Items that are deleted are moved to the Quarantine Folder: C:\AdwCleaner\Quarantine
  • To restore an item that has been deleted:
  • Go to Tools > Quarantine Manager > check what you want restored > now click on Restore.
Next.........

Please Update and run a Threat Scan (Malwarebytes)

Click on settings > Detection and Protection > Non-Malware Protection > PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program) detections > Make sure it's set to Treat detections as malware

Same for PUM (Potentially Unwanted Modifications)

Quarantine All that's found

MrC

hi,

it looks strange to me because I try additionally to scan the system using Eset Online Scanner and I have tried to do it 6th times and every time it stops at certain moment after at least 87% on several files - I have erased all that probably caused the problem (on D:\) but now it stops on C:\ on some system files showing Win32.Filecoder.CR Troian horse ) placed into the all "help_decrypt ..." files that still remains in the folders....

Additionally it show also some malware Win32.Bundled.Toolbar.Ask.F (we had ask.com toolbar, it was uninstalled manually, and I also removed all changes in search engines in browsers) and Eset doesn't finish it's task in fact - after - let's say 5 hours of idle I stop it manually and I have impression that this scanner just doesn't work....

Regards,

Raul

eset06.04.2015.txt

hi,

I deleted all "decrypt" files - so it looks the story is over but valuable files are lost..

I tried to use this thing: http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/disinfection/8547but the software demanded from me the original files locations, what , in fact, I miss, as the virus deleted the original copy...

All in all I may only thank you for your great help :)

I am considering now if I may to contact ISP for the machine in order to ask for for a permament IP change. I am afraid the attacker may store in his database my static IP - do you think it is reasonable ?

Regards,

Raul

There's 2 tools out there to protect you from this infection: (I run both of them)

CryptoMonitor:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/572146/cryptomonitor-stop-all-known-crypto-ransomware-before-it-encrypts-your-data/

CryptoPrevent:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/cryptolocker-ransomware-information#prevent

======================================

Make sure all of your programs are up to date!!!!

A little clean up to do....

Please Uninstall ComboFix: (------->if you used it<-------)

Press the Windows logo key + R to bring up the "run box"

Copy and paste next command in the field:

ComboFix /uninstall

Make sure there's a space between Combofix and /

cf2.jpg

Then hit enter. (it may look like CF is re-installing but it's not)

This will uninstall Combofix, delete its related folders and files, hide file extensions, hide the system/hidden files and clears System Restore cache and create new Restore point

(If that doesn't work.....you can simply rename ComboFix.exe to Uninstall.exe and double click it to complete the uninstall or download and run the uninstaller)

---------------------------------

bwebb7v.jpgDownload Delfix from here and save it to your desktop. (you may already have this)

• Ensure Remove disinfection tools is checked.
  • Click the Run button.
  • Reboot
Any other programs or logs that are still remaining, you can manually delete. (right click.....Delete)

-------------------------------

Any questions...please post back.

If you think I've helped you, please leave a comment > click on my avatar picture > click Profile Feed.

Take a look at My Preventive Maintenance to avoid being infected again.

Good Luck and Thanks for using the forum, MrC

hello,

sorry I didn't reply at once but a was a bit busy at work  :wacko:

I will make all these steps because now I installed Eset Smart Security for 30 days of trial and it still shows that I have trojans in over 1100 files and the programme forces me to manually unchecked everything to disinfect it all. The programme informed me that there is no way to do it either at once or automatically. Strange a bit. :blink:

Regards,

Raul

hello,

please find below the txt files of the last scan done by eset

as this is the Polish language version, let me translate the most important sentence:

- "koń trojański - wybrana akcja zostanie wykonana po zakończeniu skanowania"

meanening: troian horse - chosen auction will be completed after the scan is finished

- błąd podczas otwierania

meaning: error while opening (the file)

- poddany kwarantannie

meaning: quarantined

Liczba przeskanowanych obiektów: 222526
Liczba znalezionych zagrożeń: 1254
Liczba wyleczonych obiektów: 31

Number of scanned files: 222526

Number of threats found: 1254

Number of cured objects: 31

I am doing a new scanning at the moment - I have still abou 300 threats  :blush:

Regards,

Raul

eset_findings1.txt

• 2 weeks later...
  • Root Admin

Glad we could help. :)

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!