Mbam Compatibility Issues? Mbam is Awesome :-)

Are there any know AV's or Security Suite which are known to not totally compatible with MBAM Premium and which can cause some compatibility issues?

From time-to-time I use Emisoft IS 9, Norton Security 2015, and Bitdefender Total Security 2015 Multi Device.

I also use MBAE Premium.

[Optional Reading About Why I am Asking My Above Question]

Last evening, while using NS 2015, which makes no pretense of blocking or detecting PUPs, two PUPs (or worse) to enter my system: a search engine/home page hi-jacker, and a phony PC cleaner which would repeatedly and often would open and start scanning my PC. One time I let it complete a scan and it found over 150 issues that did not exist.

I attempted to remove them with a well known competitor's secondary on-demand scanner, It did detect both instances (it referred to them as "Riskware" ) After allegedly placing the programs into quarantine, which it turns out was totally ineffective, that program told me to reboot my PC to complete the cleaning process.

After I rebooted, I could only get as far as the screen after Windows 8.1 sign-in password page. That second screen page was totally black with the exception of an empty DOS screen that was not useable and a Windows warning it was not able to find an apparently critical file in my App Data/Roaming files. Nothing would happen after that.

I am using a new ASUS PC. After rebooting again I was presented with the option of accessing the BIOS by pressing either the F2 or Delete keys. There was no option stated to open a Boot Menu which always appeared on my last PC by pressing the F12 key. I at least wanted to try a refresh or reset, reset, or if necessary a clean install.

In the BIOS I saw no way to select a boot drive.

Luckily, the alternate secondary on-demand scanner had totally failed to remove the phony PC Cleaner program. After several minutes of staring at a blank black screen, the PC Cleaner App. started up. I let it complete the scan. I then clicked on fix it which took me to a screen to enter an email address and name. It had a "Register button". I clicked and  to my amazement my FireFox browser opened and was mostly functional. It first took me to a screen asking for my credit card details to purchase an auto-renew license for a price of $79. Sure. However, although the hijacked home page and search engine named Tapika, or something like that, also remained on my system, I was able to access the ASUS Support page and got a telephone number to call.

I called and was informed that to open the Boot Menu on an ASUS you press the ESC key during the process prior to the actual boot. I do not know if this was the correct answer because of the following : After approximately one hour of seeing the black screen, the normal W 8.1 Start Screen slowly began to fully appear and I was able to access the "Change Settings " page which resulted in a near perfect System Restore. (I say near-perfect because the hijacker search engine remained.+

I uninstalled NS 2015 and Installed EMIS 9 which claims to block PUPs. Maybe it does Block them, but it failed to detect any remaining PUP files on my PC during a Full Scan that scans all files.

I then installed MBAM and did a full scan. Mbam detected, quarantined, and subsequently immediately removed close to 100 remaining PUP files, that all other programs I had tried  previously had failed to detect :-)

So I would like to use it as a secondary Real Time Program as well.

Thank You for taking the time to read this :-)

What an ordeal....

For the most part, Malwarebytes is designed to be compatible with most AV's and is designed to run along side them as a second layer of protection.

My suggesting is run a good AV, MBAM Premium and MBAE Premium, and that will go a long way in helping you from getting infected.

If you want to make sure your still not infected, feel free to follow the instructions below to receive free, one-on-one expert assistance in checking your system and clearing out any infections and correcting any damage done by the malware.

Please see the following pinned topic which has information on how to get help with this: Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers

Thank you

• 3 weeks later...

I just started to install Bitdefender Total Security 2015 since Techradar has that 9 month giveaway, and it asks you to uninstall MBAM! It wasn't even an activated premium version (though it was, I transferred license to another machine and deactivated) but I was surprised they would do that. Practically speaking I suppose it may be a matter of installing Bitdefender first and then setting exclusions before installing MBAM but still.. Anyone else notice this? I would have thought MB has been around so long they would know it's fine expecially when the real time shield is not activated, I also had Hitman Pro on this machine and it didn't pick that up, though I guess that's strictly on-demand...

No 1 antivirus can detect everything.  I use Norton too (provided free by my isp) and believe it or not the other day I was having trouble activating Norton.  They told me to try in 24 hours and it worked.  Then a couple days later I get a follow up call to see if it was activated.  So they care about the customers.  I have Malwarebytes lifetime license, Norton, use Super Antispyware free, and have a lifetime license of Zemana Antimalware and I even use Zemana's free Antilogger, along with Malwarebytes Anti-Expoit free.

I am always on the look out for freebies and good deals and the only thing I paid for was Malwarebytes that is currently on my system.  Zemana which is not free gave lifetime licenses free to all beta testers.