I was asked you to make the new topic and that Ron will assist me further.

DoeZ

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Root Admin

Sorry for the delay. Please right click and save the following PDF user guide to your computer. Then copy it to your USB thumb drive as well for safe keeping.

Then you should be able to follow the directions starting from PAGE 60 to do a Factory Restore back to the way it came when you got the computer.

Satellite L450 Series User’s Guide

Make very sure you have all your user data backed up as once you do run this process you will not be able to get any user data back.

Thanks and let me know how it goes.

Ron

Ron I'm nervous. Will this put all the programs that came with it back on it? Like will it put my Microsoft back on? That's one thing I don't have at all on when I did this last restore. I couldn't do anything with like Word or anything of that nature. Hope you can understand that. How long will this take?

• Root Admin

No, generally speaking Microsoft Office did not come on any computer. It often came with a "TRIAL" of Microsoft Office but if you did not pay and register it then it would no longer work after the trial.

If you bought MS Office then you should have an installer CD or link to the installer if purchased online. You would need to locate both an installer and registration key for any software like Office otherwise you would lose it.

Ok then I must be wording it wrong. Would you have anything of Microsoft included in the original installment? I didn't have word and anytime I had to do a update I always had a message saying something about to check Microsoft for updates and when I'd click the link it would tell me something about an error like I needed to install it or something. I can't remember it all.

• Root Admin

The logs say you do have the following which did not come on the computer unless possibly the computer is less than a year old. It had to have been purchased separately

Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus - en-us (HKLM\...\O365ProPlusRetail - en-us) (Version: 15.0.4675.1003 - Microsoft Corporation)

You should have either an email or receipt for this purchase somewhere

No that's something my daughter was able to put on for me that she got from her school. Oh well...I think there's a CD upstairs maybe. I'm getting right now to backup my stuff and that link and begin I guess...I hope you'll be around if I have any questions or get stuck or something.

Ok...I've got all my pix and music backed up and that link on my flash drive drive also...I wanted to save my bookmarks but it saves it as json file and I never know how to open that file back up so I tried to export it to my dropbox as a html file...hopefull I won't lose that. So what do I do now? Eject my flash drive and how do I start this thing then?

Ok I hope your here...cuz I'm gonna have a lot of questions while i'm doing this. I'm powering up and pressing the zero key and I don't get either of those screens shown but at the bottom I get press F2 for set up or something else that I didn't think I needed to be pressing...and when I let go of the zero key Windows started up so I shut it down again...waiting for you...

• Root Admin

Well the computer should operate like it says in the manual. That manual is for your computer model unless someone has rebuilt the computer since it came from the factory and removed any other partitions. I'm going to be leaving in a couple of hours and won't be back online for about another 8 to 10 hours from now so maybe tomorrow but as said the computer should function as shown in the manual.

• Root Admin

It could be due to a few issues. Try shutting down the computer and then unplug the power. Then remove the battery from the unit. Then let it sit there for about an hour. Then put the battery back in and plug it back into A/C power. Then try again holding/ pressing the function key. Also pay attention if you need to use a special key to access the F keys or not. Some laptops have a special "function" button that needs to be pressed to access Function Keys.

Sorry I was on the phone taking care of business...Ok so let me see if I understand this right.... You want me to...Try shutting down the computer and then unplug the power. Then remove the battery from the unit. Then let it sit there for about an hour. Then put the battery back in and plug it back into A/C power...then am I rebooting the laptop here and holding/ pressing the function key? Which key is the function key? I have a key that says FN in between a CTRL key and WINDOWS keys down in the left corner of my keyboard...is that the Function Key?

Ok well I'm sure you'll check in in a bit...I've put the battery back in after having it out for more than an hour...plugged it into the ac and I haven't turned it on yet I just wanted to make sure that we're on the same page here...I'm starting on page 60 at this part?

Recover to out-of-box state.This option restores the original factory image to your internal storage drive, returning your computer to its out-of-box state. (Recommended recovery method) See “Recovering to out-of-box state (recommended recovery method)” on page 61.