Need some help with Windows repair install

gvfan

I need to do a repair install on my laptop due to a failed update configuration. It is a rather long story, but I do think this is the best route.

I have seen several how-to guides and I think I can handle it (perhaps with a little help).  My laptop came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.  I later upgraded it to SP1. I see there are several options (both content and download source) for the installation disk.  I am not sure which one I should use and where is the best place to download it from.

Thanks in advance.

Hi:

Welcome back.

Given that it's the holiday weekend and many of the staff and experts might be taking some time away, I might suggest perhaps posting at a more "general" computer forum (such as bleepingcomputer.com) or one specific to Win7 support (such as sevenforums.com).

The members and volunteers there tend to deal with these sorts of ambitious projects on a regular basis.

So, you might find tutorials and help there a bit quicker than here?

<just a thought>

Thanks,

Thanks for your kind words (on behalf of the true forum pros). :)

It's just that, if you look around (even in this area of the forum), you won't see too many topics about MAJOR repairs/OS reinstalls and that sort of thing.

"We" just don't very much of that sort of support here, with step-by-step help.

Please do feel free to wait for help here, if you wish.

There are a lot of very talented and expert folks on staff and volunteers.

And someone is bound to weigh in here.

I was just presenting a few other options that might be a bit more efficient for you.

Please let us know how it goes.

Cheers,

Hi Gvfan,

Could you let me know what edition of Windows you're using, such as Windows 7 Home Edition, Windows 7 Professional? It would also be great if you told me whether your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit. 

Is my PC running the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/find-out-32-or-64-bit

Once you've provided me with the requested above, I can give you the direct download link for the correct Windows 7 ISO :)

Thanks,

Legaede

AFAIK "Refresh" is for Windows 8.

I don't think it's applicable to Windows 7.

And if you end up with the wrong/illegal file(s) and the wrong instructions, you could end up in serious trouble.

Question:  Are you sure that you need to do a repair install?

There is an entire sub-forum devoted to Windows 7 Update issues at SF.com.

Pinned topic with posting instructions: Windows 7: Windows Update Posting Instructions

The Update sub-forum: Windows Updates and Activation

Perhaps they could help to resolve the issues you're having?

Another thought: Is the laptop under warranty? If so, your manufacturer probably offers support.

Again, all of this is merely a respectful suggestion from another home user -- please feel free to "take it or leave it". :)

Cheers,

Hi Gvfan,

Could you let me know what edition of Windows you're using, such as Windows 7 Home Edition, Windows 7 Professional? It would also be great if you told me whether your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit. 

Is my PC running the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/find-out-32-or-64-bit

Once you've provided me with the requested above, I can give you the direct download link for the correct Windows 7 ISO :)

Thanks,

Legaede

@ Legaede

Please don't take this the wrong way and don't start a debate on legalities But "THIS" forum will not allow those links to be posted. Been there done that and had the debate already.

sevenforums.com will be the best bet for that help and discussion.

As was posted by DD

There is an entire sub-forum devoted to Windows 7 Update issues at SF.com.

Pinned topic with posting instructions: Windows 7: Windows Update Posting Instructions

The Update sub-forum: Windows Updates and Activation

Perhaps they could help to resolve the issues you're having?