Help, My MBAM icon gone from the system tray and missing

Hi 

I need your help,please. :)  My MBAM icon from system tray on the taskbar which I always had on show didn't load up this morning when I turned my PC on. The icon is not even displayed when I click "show hidden icons" ( picture below). I also noticed that my Microsoft Security Essentials icon is gone too! I restarted my PC but it didn't help at all. 

The only thing I did yesterday was.... I downloaded the free version of Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit and set MBAE to "show icon and notification in the taskbar" and MBAE icon was displayed next to my 8 other icons with no problem. 

But this morning as you can see below all my usual icons displayed with the newly installed MBAE minus MBAM and MSE icons nowhere to be seen. 

mbamicononstartupmissingforum_zps8071040

In the picture below - Even when I tick the option " Always Show All Icons And Notifications On The Task Bar" it doesn't display MBAM and MSE. Looking at it in "Control Panel" it actually doesn't show picture icons next to my  MBAM and MSE securities at all. :(

mbammsemissingincpanel_zps1a6f9e67.jpg

My MBAM and MSE icons on the taskbar are important to me to have them on display and I am completely lost without them so I would really appreciate your help how to make them re-appear again?

Thank you

Alice

Hello and welcome back:

Let's start with MBAM first (especially since MBAE support is conducted in a different area of the forum).

If rebooting the computer does not resolve the issue:

• Please follow the steps in this pinned topic to uninstall your current version of MBAM and reinstall the latest build - MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x
  • If that does not correct the issue, then please read the following and attach to your next reply the 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 3 logs are: FRST.txt, Addition.txt and CheckResults.txt) -- NOTE: If you have run FRST on this system previously, please place a check-mark in the "Addition.txt" option before you run it again.
  • NOTE: There is an FAQ section with valuable information located here - Common Questions, Issues, and their Solutions

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Hi Daledoc1

Thank you very much for your reply with your helpful instructions  :) .

I've just restarted my PC again ( second restart today) and to my surprise all the system tray icons which I am meant to have displayed on the taskbar including my previously troubled MBAM and MSE LOADED. So all looks good at the moment and I will keep my eye on it.

One more question if you don't mind me asking, please: 

Before asking for your help, I was able to launch MBAM and MSE from my desktop icons when I realized they didn't load in my system tray icon taskbar. Both programs appeared to work properly and updates were successful as well, but should I be worried about my MBAM and MSE system tray icon malfunction? Is it just something that can occasionally happen or is it something to be worried about? 

Thank you

Alice

Great!
I'm glad that rebooting seems to have solved the problem.

There's no way to say for sure what happened.
Windows has had issues with disappearing/changing icons for a long time, going back many versions.
It could have been a "hiccup".
Having said that, it looks as if you've recently experienced a wide range of intermittent issues with this same computer?
These sorts of things can be hard to track down and fix.
Sometimes it gets to the point where it's advisable to consider backing up one's data and reinstalling the Windows OS.

Ennywho, for the icon issue, you might want to have a look at these tutorials, if you are comfortable with this sort of thing:
HERE or HERE or HERE

>>>Otherwise, we would need to see a bit of system information to better help you.

If so, please read the following and attach to your next reply the 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 3 logs are: FRST.txt, Addition.txt and CheckResults.txt)

NOTE: If you have run FRST on this system previously, please place a check-mark in the "Addition.txt" option before you run it again.

Thank you,

Hi again

Oops, I was moving pictures in my Photobucket library and accidentally deleted :blush: the ones I linked in my first post.... just incase anyone wonders why they are now missing in my first post. 

Thank you very much for your suggestions and your links to some helpful tutorials.

With my non-existent technical skills I think I would do more harm than good but appreciate your help  :)

I've posted some logs in my other threads and was told that everything looked OK and I shouldn't really be worried about anything. 

Yeah, I have occasional troubles with my PC when something like my desktop gadget clock doesn't load and once IE browser didn't want to open and today the system tray icons problem but it always seems to resolve itself after a restart or when I turn my PC back on next morning so as long as I can see my security and other programs are fully working and updating and I can access everything, I don't worry that much. 

Reinstalling Windows OS sounds like a good idea and would be a last resort if the time came but the only thing that worries me about it are the disks I created for it when I got my PC which are now over 4 years old! Would it even be possible to do the reinstall of my PC and update everything so it would work correctly with everything so outdated on the disks? 

Thank you

Alice

Hi:

Actually the images were never there. ;)

I replied without seeing them.

(In the future, you can just ATTACH the files directly here, in your thread.  There's no need to upload them to a 3rd-party site.)

If everything is working as expected, then you should be good to go for now.

If the problem recurs, I suggest following the original advice.

As for reinstalling Windows, advanced users do it all the time. Novice home users are probably advised to seek professional on-site help or local (NOT big box) computer shop help.

But, yes it would be a bit of an undertaking, if not a last resort.

Cheers,

I've just restarted my PC again ( second restart today) and to my surprise all the system tray icons which I am meant to have displayed on the taskbar including my previously troubled MBAM and MSE LOADED. So all looks good at the moment and I will keep my eye on it.

Alice

This occasionally happens to me with some icons in my System Tray.  After much checking, I had no viruses, malware or corrupted Window files to blame the occasionally missing icons on.  My solution was to simply open Task Manager, click on the process associated with the missing icon (mbam.exe*32 in the case of Malware Bytes), then click on End Process.  Then go to Start, Programs, and click on the program you just ended.  The program will start, and the icon will appear in the System Tray.  Or at least it works that way for me...

I find Ending Process (via Task Manager), and restarting the program much quicker than rebooting the computer...

Hope this helps,

Jim

Hi:

Actually the images were never there. ;)

I replied without seeing them.

(In the future, you can just ATTACH the files directly here, in your thread.  There's no need to upload them to a 3rd-party site.)

If everything is working as expected, then you should be good to go for now.

If the problem recurs, I suggest following the original advice.

As for reinstalling Windows, advanced users do it all the time. Novice home users are probably advised to seek professional on-site help or local (NOT big box) computer shop help.

But, yes it would be a bit of an undertaking, if not a last resort.

Cheers,

Hi daledoc1

Just a little update.. So far everything looks OK with all my system tray icons loading up on the taskbar when I turn my PC on in the morning. It has been successfully happening for two days in a row so I hope it stays that way.

Thank you for your time. Very much appreciated! :) 

Alice

This occasionally happens to me with some icons in my System Tray.  After much checking, I had no viruses, malware or corrupted Window files to blame the occasionally missing icons on.  My solution was to simply open Task Manager, click on the process associated with the missing icon (mbam.exe*32 in the case of Malware Bytes), then click on End Process.  Then go to Start, Programs, and click on the program you just ended.  The program will start, and the icon will appear in the System Tray.  Or at least it works that way for me...

I find Ending Process (via Task Manager), and restarting the program much quicker than rebooting the computer...

Hope this helps,

Jim

Hi Jim

Thank you very much for sharing your own experience and a possible solution which could help out greatly if my system tray icons misbehave again in the future. 

Thanks again :)