MBAM 2.0.3.1024 - Scanner Failed with Error Code: 6

Good Morning Maurice,

I followed your instructions EXACTLY, but I am still getting pop-up error messages and FAILED on my hourly threat scans. See my attached files. I am at the point of just about giving up. I don't know what else to do. This latest program is inherantly full of bugs. Do you have a better fix?

Best regards,

Richard

Scanning History Log.xml

Daily Protection Log.xml

Please don't give up.   There is something odd ( unknown at this point) going on here.

Just as a f.y.i.  why is there "hourly"   scans.

When you send attachments, it is not necessary to change their real names, just send "as is".

I will need from you  a new run of mbam-check-2.1.1.1001.exe   and send a new CheckResults.txt

(2)

Take a look inside the program. Start the Anti-Malware. Click on the Settings icon at the top bar up at top.
Then click the Advanced Settings button at the left.
Be sure all top 3 lines on that window are check-marked ( selected ).

Now a couple of changes for each of the Update task & the Threat scan task in the Scheduler.
Click on Automated Scheduling button.

Locate and click once on **Check for Updates** line and press Edit. Then press the Advanced button at bottom left.
Slide the window up so you can see all of it. {press the mouse on the very top bar and slide UP }
A few changes are needed.
Look at the "starting time" of the task and use some good time when you know that your computer will be on & powered & that Windows would be on at that time.
Look at the line in Schedule Options. UN-check "Show notification after successful update".

In the Frequency and Settings. Select Hourly and I suggest using the Recurrence at 4 hours.
In the Recovery Options put a check-mark on "Recover missed tasks" and select 1 hour
When done, press the OK button.

Locate and click once on the Threat Scan line and press Edit.Then press the Advanced button at bottom left.
Slide the window up so you can see all of it. {press the mouse on the very top bar and slide UP }

In the Schedule Options, put a check-mark on the line Terminate program when no threats are found
{when no malwares are detected you want the scheduled task to close}.

In the Frequency and Settings block.
You should have Daily and the recurrence set to 1 day.
now UN-check the line Check for updates before scanning {{that line should be always off otherwise the task may not run at the time set. It maybe run +/- 15 minutes of that period.}

In the Recovery Options put a check-mark on "Recover missed tasks" and select 1 hour
When done, press the OK button.

When completely done, close the window.

A fresh Windows start would be good to do at this point. Use Logoff and Restart Windows.

( 3)

Close any open work documents, if any, saving your work.
Make sure to close any other programs that you started before.

Please download Junkware Removal Tool by Thisisu to your Desktop
http://thisisudax.org/downloads/JRT.exe

Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista or 7 or 8, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select Run as administrator.
The tool will open and display information and disclaimer in a Command prompt window.

I'd suggest you close all internet browsers at this point.

Press a key on keyboard to start scanning your system.

Please be very patient as this will take several minutes to complete, depending on your system's specifications.
There are approximatly 12 phases or so in this tool.  You will see each phase listed in the Command prompt window.
On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your Desktop and will automatically open.  And the command prompt will have been closed.

Please attach JRT.txt into a new reply.

Maurice,

You asked why I have Threat Scan set to hourly. That is because I am running Windows XP. Microsoft does not support that program anymore and clearly states that it MOST likely to be attacked. I just feel more secure having hourly scans. I hope that is OK with you.

Otherwise, I have done everything else that you asked me to do. Attached are the 2 requested txt files. What do they tell you? Did you find my problem?

My next Threat scan is set to run at 11:30:00 AM EDT. I will report the results once completed. Meanwhile I am most interested in hearing what you found in the txt files.

Best regards,

Richard

Maurice,

You asked why I have Threat Scan set to hourly. That is because I am running Windows XP. Microsoft does not support that program anymore and clearly states that it MOST likely to be attacked. I just feel more secure having hourly scans. I hope that is OK with you.

Otherwise, I have done everything else that you asked me to do. Attached are the 2 requested txt files. What do they tell you? Did you find my problem?

My next Threat scan is set to run at 11:30:00 AM EDT. I will report the results once completed. Meanwhile I am most interested in hearing what you found in the txt files.

Best regards,

Richard

JRT.txt

CheckResults.txt

Hello Richard,

Nothing found so far.  But there must be some sort of a conflict ( hidden) around this particular combination on this box.

As to having XP, a hourly scan is probably too much ( imho ) since you have the realtime protections of MBAM and Norton Internet Security.

This bit of advice I truly recommend:

IF you must stay on Windows XP, then please be sure to read and apply the suggestions by Susan Bradley
Securing XP PCs after Microsoft drops support
http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/securing-xp-pcs-after-microsoft-drops-support/

Personally, I would at most do 2 daily scans in your case.  I just do one scheduled scan per day on my box.

as to the program versions, the best hope is to stay with 2.0.3.1025  and look forward to the release version.

Otherwise, dropping back to version 1.75  would be only good to March of next year.

I would like for you, if possible, to boot into Safe mode, and then do a Scan in that, and verify that the scan can complete and what it finds, if anything.

And after that, I can lead you thru a special scan back in Normal mode.

For now, a Threat Scan in Safe Mode

•    A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP
Select an option when the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, and then press ENTER. When the Boot menu appears again, and the words "Safe Mode" appear in blue ...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222

I followed your instructions and set my computer to run in Safe Mode. I ran MBAM (see attached xml file) and got the same Threat Scan Failed message in the log plus the pop-up window saying "Scanner Failed with Error Code: 6". I am now back in regular mode. Do you have any other suggestions to fix the problem or should I go back to MBAM 1.75 which I know does not have all the problems of the various v 2 releases? If so, can you provide me with a download link? I am at my wits end!

Safe Mode Threat Scan.xml

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the log.  Please have faith and lots of patience.  Don't lose your wits.  No call for that.

Your specific issue cannot be duplicated, but we would like to get some more detailed logs to see about what gives and what may be done for you.

We would like for you to get and then install Microsoft System Internals Process Monitor

from this link

OK?  So you want to have the system in normal mode and then

1. Start Procmon.exe
  2. Start a threat scan In the Anti-Malware  ( a manual run).
  3. Wait for error to occur.
  4. In Procmon, click file and select “Capture Events” so it stops collecting information.
  5. Save the log.   Then attach it to a reply.

Just as a totally separate thing, I would also like to get this report:

Download Security Check by screen317 from >>here<<.

• Save it to your Desktop.
  • Double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
  • A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please attach that document.

I followed your instructions EXACTLY. I ran Process Monitor and then manually ran Threat Scan. When the scan completed and the Error 6 pop-up window occurred, I clicked Capture Events, but NO txt file was created. Can I now uninstall Process Monitor? The second file is attached. Now what?

checkup.txt

Please keep the Procmon tool around.  We may need it again.

Lets give these a try.

Start the Anti-Malware program.  Don't do anything just yet.  But click on Settings icon up on the top bar and then select History settings on the left.
Then look at the line tagged as Help fight malware by anonymously providing historical information  and UN-check the box if it is selected.

Close the program.

( NEXT )
Close all of your open program windows, saving any of your open work documents, if any.
This next procedure will do a system restart when it finishes.

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
http://oldtimer.geekstogo.com/TFC.exe

Please double-click TFC.exe to run it.
It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
Click the "Start" button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files.  Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
IF prompted to Reboot, reply "Yes"

Once done, give One try to do a Threat scan with the Anti-Malware program.  Scan  icon  >> Threat scan.

Lets see how this goes.

Thank you for all your efforts. I followed your above instructions exactly. I ran Threat Scan again and at completion I got the SAME pop-up window Scanner Failed with Error Code: 6 and the scanner log file states FAILED again. Nothing seems to be working. I am seriously considering going back to version 1.75.

P.S. I checked Revo Uninstaller and Process Monitor was never actually installed.

Maybe you had Process monitor running in Temp ??

Before you give up --- I would suggest doing a "clean boot startup" 

That is where most all user-app startups and unneeded addons are suppressed from auto-starting   --- and afterwards, doing a new run   so that essentially there will be no potential interference.

Your box is XP, but the principle described in this article is the same basics.   Keep a journal on paper of what you turn off temporarily.

Read / review/ digest this MS support article  KB929135
How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

I ran MBAM in clean boot mode but I get the SAME Error Code 6 and Failed in Scanning log. Now I am back in Normal Startup mode. Are you ready to give me the link to download MBAM v 1.75 yet?

Sad to hear that that did not do better.   Be sure you have reset to normal what you suppressed in startups.

To revert to the ancient version 1.75, follow this recipe.

First, remove Malwarebytes 2.x using our mbam-clean utility.

mbam-clean.exe is a special tool created by the developers of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to completely remove all traces of the program from your computer. This can be useful if you need to remove your product ID and Key from one system to register the program on a new system or if you're having trouble with the program, as often a clean uninstall and reinstall of the software will correct many common problems.

To use the utility:
•Download and run mbam-clean.exe  xxxx link removed xxxx

•It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important.

Download & Save the  Malwarebytes 1.75 setup file to your Desktop and proceed to install.
The download link is  https://malwarebytes.box.com/s/u0b4k0fttttab6q2qqrw

If you are prompted to install a new version of Malwarebytes during or after the installation, click NO.
(Clicking Yes will install version 2.0 again)

Be sure to UNCHECK the "Enable Trial Version" and "Update Malwarebytes Anti-Malware" boxes at the end of the install wizard.

Once the setup is complete, click on the Settings tab, then click on the Updater Settings sub-tab.

UNCHECK the top 2 boxes for "Download and install program update if available" and " Notify me when a program update is ready for installation".

If you are a licensed user be sure to have your ID and Key available.

Register Malwarebytes in the Activate section of the console. Click the blue link in the top-right corner of the Malwarebytes console to open the License Details screen.

Important: Please make sure you are COPYING and PASTING the ID and Key directly from the confirmation email into the proper fields. The code is case sensitive and contains letters and numbers that can be easily confused, so make sure you distinguish between the letter "O" and the number "0" if you enter the code manually.

Instructions to copy and paste: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial95.html

Keep safe.

Post updated [02/12/2021 - AdvancedSetup]

The following MBST tool should be used to perform a clean removal and reinstall

https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039023473-Uninstall-and-reinstall-using-the-Malwarebytes-Support-Tool

Edited by AdvancedSetup
updated information

Maurice,

Thank you so very much for all your efforts. You will have to admit that there are just too many "bug" in MBAM v 2. How will I find out when an updated version of MBAM becomes available?

Best regards,

Richard

Richard,

There would be an announcement ( and probably more than just one) when the final release come out.

It is truly regretful that this box has these issues.  It is sad and unfortunate.

However, and it will not be any comfort for you ---  the versions recently available of vers 2.0.3  are much better than the predecessors.

Personally, I have managed to help several dozens to get onto RC1 and have got them squared away.   ( and many countless more on the 2.0.2 version)

No, this version has much less "issues".  

My take is that this box has something deeply hidden that leads to the hiccup. It might perhaps be cured by doing a wipe and new rebuild of Windows.

Unfortunate to see and encounter, but this one is of the tiny minority that simply wont fly right.   And this can happen similarly under other parallel examples that one hears about with other softwares.

I wish you all the best.

Thank again. Unfortunately doing a wipe and new rebuild of Windows is not an option for me. I don't have the CD. Will the announcement of a new MBAM version be by email?

No, not be email.  Like I said, there will be a announcement on the forum.

as to not having the CD, the computer manufacturer likely made a hidden partition on the HDD  -- check with yours --- a Restore partition --- from which you could reinstall Windows.

Maurice,

Once again thanks for all that you have done for me. Unfortunately, my computer does not have a hidden restore partion, so I am stuck with the way my computer is now. Concerning MBAM 1.75, I have installed and set it up the way that you instructed. I have only one concern. I have it set to run a Quick Scan (I assume that this is the SAME a v. 2 Threat Scan), but when the scan occurs, the scan window pops up for the duration of the scan and disappears at the completion of the scan. Is there any way to have the scan run run in the background and not pop up each time?

One final question: Do you have an educated guess as to possibly when a new vastly improved version of MBAM will be available?

Best regards,

Richard

On the working of a scan with version 1.75, I must say, my recollection is not very good.  You'll need to do some digging around in the settings.

As to the last final question, the version 2.0.3 is a much improved one of a version 2.

As to when it will be released, my guess is that it will be soon.  But there is no official date as such.

Regards.