Pup Blues

pcspike

Need some advice as I’m worried about using my laptop after Malware Bytes detected and quarantined a number of pup malware infections. Initially I did not realise the significance of this, which may account for my laptop running slow and on one occasion when opening Outlook I got a message ‘Your Ctrl key is pressed’.  This week when I tried out another malware application it picked a single detection of pup.installrex/variant! I have ran both programs again and nothing is now picked up. However, when I run AVG tune up Registry Repair it leaves one item as being unresolved and is marking it as severity level high, and from what I have read regarding the pup.installer It could be responsible.

Given this situation I’m unsure about the safety of the system, I feel I should start again and reinstall windows 7, but do you think that this is going OTT? Your opinions and advice please would be much appreciated.

Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) are NOT malware and there is no reason to wipe a PC and reinstall the OS of choice over them.

You need to be more vigilant when installing software.

Dave,

Other than the advice given, how do I know that my system is now safe to use, and would do I resolve the registry issue?

Hi, @pcspike:

In addition to @David H. Lipman's expert advice, if you would like one of our trained malware experts to guide you through some scans to be sure your system is clean, I suggest that you please follow the advice in this pinned topic: Available Assistance For Possibly Infected Computers.
A malware analyst will assist you -- one-on-one, for free -- with looking into your issue.

Also, you might find helpful these pinned topics written by our Forum Root Admin, re:

PUPs: What are the 'PUP' detections, are they threats, and should they be deleted?

Registry Cleaners: Do I need a Windows Registry Cleaner?

Thanks,