[SOLVED] Browser doesn't open when clicking on links [Known Issue #3]

Deke40

Could find where to post this so move it if I am in the wrong place.

I downloaded the new MBAE and ran into a problem on Windows Mail, Vista Home Premium, in that I couldn't open any links or attachments.  Uninstalled MABE and everything is alright now.  Reinstalled and the same problem occurs.

This time I just right clicked on the System Tray icon and stopped protection and that lets me open links and attachments in WM.

Just thought I would pass this on.

I downloaded the new MBAE and ran into a problem on Windows Mail, Vista Home Premium, in that I couldn't open any links or attachments. Uninstalled MABE and everything is alright now. Reinstalled and the same problem occurs.

This time I just right clicked on the System Tray icon and stopped protection and that lets me open links and attachments in WM.

Just thought I would pass this on.

It was suggested that I post the logs but cannot figure out where to direct the "Browse" feature to get them uploaded.

This might be a Known Issue:

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=135127

If your browser is open before you click on the link, can you then open it?

Yes I tried that and it works.

When it comes to attachments, what type of attachments are the ones that will not open?

I stand corrected on that.  It was a link to a pdf file that I couldn't open.  Sorry about that.

I am using Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit and Internet Explorer 9. When I try to open a website link from a Windows Mail Message, I get a popup error that says "Windows cannot find (for example http://www.hotmail.com) Please check spelling, etc and try again" plus the Internet Explorer 9 opens simultaneously but is blank. If I leave IE 9 open and click the link again, it opens fine and there is no popup error. The only thing the Log shows is that "Internet Explorer Is Now Protected." I have tried uninstalling, downloading again and reinstalling but the exact same thing occurs.

Thanks!

Ten

When I have Malwarebytes Bytes Anti-Exploit running I cannot use Start -> Run to launch browsers. Ex) Start -> Run -> www.google.com

The error it gives is "There was a problem sending the command to the program"

But, if the browser is already open, then it works correctly.

Windows 7 Professions 64 Bit.

Thank You

when I open Windows live mail 2012 and click on a link in Windows 8, I do not see this problem (ie is the default browser)

I am about to test it in Windows 7 to see if the same thing happens, btw this is the free version

ok I checked on my windows 7 pro machine that I put the free version on, mind you I only checked it on one , I have not installed it yet on any other machines

I checked it with firefox and ie

I do not have a problem opening windows live mail 2012 and clicking on links and it is not crashing, so far anyway

once I get it up on other computers I will test and report back if I see a problem

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Version : 1.04.1.1004

Windows Vista SP2

Browser IE 9

1.  When a link is selected, the browser churns over, imediately a pop up box with a red cross appears, at the top of the box is the link,  http:/link address etc, no writing in any part of the address bar or anywhere else in browser, wording within box with red cross  "Windows can't find: http://link etc.... make sure you have typed the name correctly and then try again" 

2.  This happens everytime i try to activate any link, when I delete the browser page and STOP PROTECTION and click on the same link....the browser will load the link everytime, as soon as I activate START PROTECTION the link does NOT work !!  

3.  NOTE this was the same when the previous version of MBME was fitted !! 

Any help please, if not I think I will have to uninstall MBAE till its fixed....

Thanks

• 1 month later...

How goes triage of the launching a browser from an URL in your mail client?

Is there any update on the status of this known issue?

We're looking at purchasing and deploying MBAE for ~900 end points, but this is a pretty serious sticking point for our org.

We're aware of the workaround, but need I expound over end users and work arounds?

TIA,

CXL

Thank for the update Pedro.

I had been using a barely earlier experimental build, perhaps .1008? without change to that behavior.

Won't be back in the lab until Tuesday to verify - but in any case I will test .1012 ASAP & post findings

Failing that - is there a timelinefor 1.05 release?

Q4? Q1:15 etc?

Thanks,

CXL