Can't Update MBAM 2.0 to New Version - Installer Error - Log in as Administrator

I am receiving a notice from MBAM 2.0 that a new version is available.  When I click to get it, I get an "Installer Error" that I must be logged in as an Administrator on my computer.  Under UAC, I have only two accounts: Mine listed as Administrator and Password Protected, and the Guest account which is turned off.  I am running Windows 7 x64 PRO SP1 with Bitdefender as my av solution.  I have gone to the MBAM folder, found mbam.exe and right clicked to "Run As Administrator", but still the same error.  I am baffled.  Any suggestions?

Thanks.  Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

HI:

Are you trying to upgrade from 2.0.0 to 2.0.1?

If so, do you have Self-Protection (SP) enabled, by any chance?

If that's the case and a reboot doesn't resolve the issue, you might try to disable SP (and then reboot) and then try again.

Otherwise, you might want to try a clean reinstall: MBAM Clean Removal Process

(NOTE: If SP is enabled, please disable it before running the mbam-clean removal tool.)

Please let us know if this resolves your issue,

daledoc1

daledoc1:

Thank you for your prompt response.  Self protection mode was not enabled.  I followed your advice and did the MBAM Clean Removal Process.  Interestingly I had the "administrator" authority to wipe out MBAM, but not to update it.  The install of the new version went well and it is doing its initial scan as I write this.

What is self-protection mode exactly and will it interfere with Bitdefender?  I have listed mbam as an excluded process from Bitdefender scanning.  I note also that Self Protection is off by default.  I have left it that way, for now.

Thanks again for your help.  Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Hi:

OK, thanks for the update.

Glad it's working OK now.

There have been some intermittent issues with leftover registry entries and other minor issues creating problems during updating.

The clean reinstall has resolved most of those for most users.

SP is exactly that: a powerful new tool to keep MBAM files from being modified or removed by malware.

It is disabled by default during installation because it can cause confusion -- for example, when it's enabled, the user cannot delete the MBAM desktop shortcut icon.

It is related to/based on/runs some of the same drivers as Chameleon, the powerful, specialized tool that helps to get MBAM to install/run on a heavily infected computer.

In general one should not need to have SP enabled under routine use for most users.

As for BD, there have been isolated reports recently and in the past about issues with it; if you search the forum, you will find a few threads.

I am not personally familiar with it.

I know that it (at least the Free version) has some serious limitations when it comes to being able to restore items from Quarantine, etc.

The MBAM team has always worked hard to make MBAM as compatible as possible with all of the major AVs -- after all, it is designed specifically to run alongside an AV.

Of course, it's impossible to predict with 100% accuracy how any 2 software products will run on a particular system.

If you do experience a problem, you can always post here and someone will help you to sort it out.

HTH,

daledoc1

Daledoc1:

Thanks for the information about Self Protection.  I think that I will leave it off since I am reasonably careful when downloading apps.

I have not noted any problems with my 2014 Bitdefender Security (paid version) and MBAM coexisting.  The gurus over at the Bitdefender Forum, which I monitor daily, also don't report any issues.  The official Bitdefender position is that they don't recommend activating the real time anti-malware protection of any anti-malware product as they can't guarantee that it won't cause issues.  So far, so good, so I will leave them both active.

Thanks again for your assistance.  I see that I am not the only one that experienced this issue, which leads me to believe that this was an MBAM issue of non-compatibility with certain computer platforms/configurations.

Regards,

-Phil

I am receiving a notice from MBAM 2.0 that a new version is available.  When I click to get it, I get an "Installer Error" that I must be logged in as an Administrator on my computer.  Under UAC, I have only two accounts: Mine listed as Administrator and Password Protected, and the Guest account which is turned off.  I am running Windows 7 x64 PRO SP1 with Bitdefender as my av solution.  I have gone to the MBAM folder, found mbam.exe and right clicked to "Run As Administrator", but still the same error.  I am baffled.  Any suggestions?

Thanks.  Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

There have been suggestions to set exclusions when using BD products with MBAM 2.0  Personally I don't like setting exclusions in my AV products and don't unless I have to.  The only current exclusion I have in my BD products is under Privacy--->Whitelist  I have added in "data-cdn.mbamupdates.com'  I believe this was recommended at one time on this website.  I don't know if it is still needed but I do it out of habit. :)

If someone can clarify whether it is still needed or not maybe I can change an old habit if it is no longer needed to be entered as exclusion.

• 6 months later...

I did this and it worked flawless

1. ensure that you are in administrator account

2. disable self protection ( which can be enabled later on)

3. exit from malware bytes, which is running in the background.

4. the got program data and search malware folder and open it

5. see the setup file of malware byte (check the date it is downloaded and make sure it is the latest one)

6. Now right click on it.

7. Run as administrator.

That's it, and it worked for me.

Thanks!

Hello and :welcome: , anjs705:

Thanks for reporting your successful resolution. :)
Alas, this topic is nearly 7 months old.
So, it's likely that the Topic Starter has likely also resolved the issue by now and may no longer be monitoring this thread.

For others who may find this topic, the steps posted by anjs705 are quite similar to those posted in our forum pinned topics:
MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x
and
Installer error - version upgrade - log in as administrator

ALSO, for additional information:
There is an FAQ Section here: Common Questions, Issues, and their Solutions
And here are links to the MBAM 2.0 User Guide: Online and PDF
And there are many useful KB topics and videos at the helpdesk support page

Thanks again,