PUP.Optional.OptimizerPro.A

My husband downloaded Firefox from some sketchy website ez-download.com when I told him to directly type in Mozilla.org to the address bar (in his defense, he said that he didn't recognize the way IE is set up for web searching and stuff, which is true because he has not used IE in probably 6 yrs if not more)... anyway he kept asking me if It was ok to install my search dialer and then mypcbackup and I was like wait a minute Firefox doesn't do that... I came out to see what was going on, and it turns out he searched Mozilla.org and clicked on an advertisement, ez-download.com, and downloaded some weird setup .exe file. 

Obviously I had him close out of the setup process, so whatever the file was, was not fully installed. 

Here is the scan log:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (PRO) 1.75.0.1300
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2013.12.05.08

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x64 NTFS
Internet Explorer 10.0.9200.16736
JA :: DUDE [administrator]

Protection: Enabled

12/5/2013 7:56:04 PM
mbam-log-2013-12-05 (19-56-04).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
Scan options disabled: P2P
Objects scanned: 203165
Time elapsed: 1 minute(s), 55 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 0

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 1
C:\Users\JA\AppData\Local\Temp\is1275519350\2350356_stp.EXE (PUP.Optional.OptimizerPro.A) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

(end)

This is a brand new computer that I actually just started setting up today (only MSE & MBAM are installed so far & no personal files are on the computer yet), so if this finding is any real concern, I would just as soon reformat then go through a bunch of scans, but wanted to post here just in case.  I didn't delete the setup file of the fake Firefox in case you may want a copy of it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Root Admin

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!