MBAM finds nothing BUT...

my Ebay account was hacked. First and foremost I do NOT click links in emails so I'm pretty sure it couldn't have come from a phishing scheme. So if that is the case and MBAM finds nothing, my Norton finds nothing then could my computer still be infected??? I'm now scared to look at any of my cc/bank accounts in case my computer IS infected and they are going to access those accounts too. Ugg sorry I am totally a computer idiot and don't know where to turn for advice. BTW I'm unemployed so the idea of paying someone to check it out and "clean" if necessary is very difficult right now.

Thanks for any help.

Theresa

First and foremost, from a CLEAN machine (i.e. a machine that is not the one you are currently using), change your eBay password.

Next, fire eBay an e-mail and let them know what has happened. Inform them you have already changed your password, and they should be able to identify whether anyone else has actually accesed the account or not.

Next, inform your bank, especially if your eBay account contains your bank/credit card information. Then finally, report the matter to the police as I'm guessing you've also got your personal details (name, address etc) in your eBay profile? which opens you up to possible identity theft.

As far as the machine is concerned, just because it comes up clean, does not mean it necessarily is. Especially as you do not know how they obtained your eBay account information. Follow the procedure outlined in the following, and someone will assist you.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=9573

/edit

I should've mentioned, I'd also recommend changing the password for your email account aswell.

First of all thanks for responding.

Second, I was actually on the computer as this person was listing items. I got an email from Ebay saying "thanks for your listing". I immediately called them and by the time I was on the phone there were 10 items listed. They removed all of them and I did change my password.

I will change my email password now but I'm still kinda shaking at the idea of it all. Also phoning the bank right now.

I'll check out that link now too.

Thanks

Theresa

No problem at all.

I actually deal in researching and reporting stolen accounts and sadly, this is all too common. Account login details are usually stolen one of two ways;

1. Phishing URL in an e-mail

2. Key logger installed on the computer

These are all so mysterious things, a normal enduser does not really know about them, and understands even less.

We - more or less computer-idiots, even though we could use computers, but knowledge is scarce and hard to put together. Sad to say, it's really way over our heads, and as such, makes difficult for us to beware ourselves until it's too late or close call anyway. And sometimes even those that are computerliterate and well-versed, have things happen to tem. THAT makes one feel a little scared, really. ..

These are all so mysterious things, a normal enduser does not really know about them, and understands even less.

We - more or less computer-idiots, even though we could use computers, but knowledge is scarce and hard to put together. Sad to say, it's really way over our heads, and as such, makes difficult for us to beware ourselves until it's too late or close call anyway. And sometimes even those that are computerliterate and well-versed, have things happen to tem. THAT makes one feel a little scared, really. ..

That's the way I felt getting in the driver's seat of my first car even after re-reading the rules of the road for a Driver Education course and driving a motorcycle for a few years without hurting myself or others.

Using the Internet is like using any tool that can be used for good and bad but if they made it idiot-proof some idiot would try to prove that its not.

That's the way I felt getting in the driver's seat of my first car even after re-reading the rules of the road for a Driver Education course and driving a motorcycle for a few years without hurting myself or others.

Using the Internet is like using any tool that can be used for good and bad but if they made it idiot-proof some idiot would try to prove that its not.

Years ago when I was writing Windows apps and was told to make it idiot-proof my response was if I do that only idiots would ever use it. :D