pum.hijack. startmenu

It says the file is empty:

SHA256: e3b0c44298fc1c149afbf4c8996fb92427ae41e4649b934ca495991b7852b855 SHA1: da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709 MD5: d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e File size: 0 bytes ( 0 bytes ) File name: 3a86a5fbbe862503b4eabd9c1538171bb566439f File type: unknown Tags: zero-filled nsrl software-collection Detection ratio: 0 / 47 Analysis date: 2013-06-02 07:29:41 UTC ( 3 minutes ago )

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please download SystemLook from one of the links below and save it to your Desktop.

Download Mirror #1

Download Mirror #2

• Double-click SystemLook.exe to run it.
  • Copy the content of the following codebox into the main textfield:
    :filefind
    Safeboot.sys

• Click the Look button to start the scan.
  • When finished, a notepad window will open with the results of the scan. Please post this log in your next reply.

Note: The log can also be found at on your Desktop entitled SystemLook.txt

---------------------

Next, please run the Toshiba diagnostic utility for SCSI hard drives: http://storage.toshiba.com/techdocs/sdiag_23.zip and post its results here.

Let me know how things go.

I have run SystemLook, log is below. The Toshiba scan does not seem to run though, not sure if I am doing anything wrong?

SystemLook 30.07.11 by jpshortstuff

Log created at 20:13 on 02/06/2013 by Paul

Administrator - Elevation successful

========== filefind ==========

Searching for "Safeboot.sys"

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\SafeBoot.sys --a---- 109216 bytes [14:01 01/10/2008] [14:01 01/10/2008] (Unable to calculate MD5)

-= EOF =-

Try it with out rebooting, but if it doesn't work try rebooting. We really need to run this hard drive diagnostic test- if there's something wrong with your hard drive, that would probably be the cause of the startup issues.

Unfortunately, the diagnostic does not run, although a message flashes up briefly 'Scanning new drives now, please wait'. No progress is made on the scan, either on Total Test or Test Progress but I do not understand why. Even this didn't happen the first time, so I think I have now installed the ASPI driver correctly.

Hi,Basically, it is a blank screen and doesn't do anything except continually try to start up, including the cd / dvd drive. When it did finally boot up this time, after trying for two days, it would not go into safe mode. I will back everything up in case it doesn't improve. It still will not run the hard disk diagnostic, so is there anything else you suggest I should do or is it a write-off long term?

so is there anything else you suggest I should do or is it a write-off long term?

We could do a system file check to verify there aren't any file corruptions, but from what you're telling me, it's beginning to sound more and more like a failed hard drive. If you need any help backing things up, let me know.

A system file check could help, if you wouldn't mind telling me the best way to go about it. Ultimately though, I think it is a write-off & will do a back-up of as much as possible; I am worried that it will eventually shut down and not reboot again! Is there anything specific I should remember to include, other than all users documents/photos etc?

Thanks for your help so far, you have been extremely patient & helpful & I will make a donation to show my appreciation shortly.

A system file check could help, if you wouldn't mind telling me the best way to go about it.

Sure- there's a good set of instructions here at BleepingComputer.

Is there anything specific I should remember to include, other than all users documents/photos etc?

That should be it, and even with that, I'd advise you to only back up things that aren't replaceable. (In the end, it's up to you what you'd like to keep.) Programs and applications can be reinstalled, so I'd just focus on saving your personal documents, etc.

Thanks for your help so far, you have been extremely patient & helpful & I will make a donation to show my appreciation shortly.

Thank you very much. I appreciate it. :)

Update: laptop crashed (overheated from being continuously on, I think); when I rebooted, I managed to get it into Safe Mode! I tried to run the Fujitsu diagnostic that I couldn't before & it is still the same - it will not run.

I now seem to have the opportunity to run safe mode again, so is there something I should do while in this mode?