Win XP Pro - Desktop missing after log off and login

sparky55

Hi,

In the past couple of weeks or so my desktop computer began to open to a blank desktop whenever I'd log out and then login. I've tried restoring the system to several earlier points but this does nothing. If someone could help me with figuring this out I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks in advance for your help and advice.on this.

Regards,

Monty

Hi and welcome, sparky55:

Please follow the instructions below and report back here with both logs attached to your next reply.

They will provide the staff and expert members with a bit of preliminary system info to better assist you.

In the interim, please do NOT run any sort of temporary file cleaner or malware removal tools, as it could make it hard to recover your system.

You may wish to take a look at this KB topic: Use unhide.exe to Reveal Files and Folders Hidden by Rogue Infections

Note: You should not run unhide.exe unless you have been infected with one of the FakeHDD\Defragmenter rogues that hide your files and Start Menu.

:excl:>>However, if you are not sure what is actually wrong with the computer or if you are infected with one of the relevant rogues, then it would be best to wait until one of the more expert members can review your DDS scan logs. :excl:

HTH,

daledoc1

--------------------------

DDS Instructions

Download DDS from one of the locations below and save it to your Desktop:

dds.scr

dds.com

Temporarily disable any script blocker if your Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware has it.

How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs

Once it is downloaded, you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.

Then double click dds.scr or dds.com to run the tool, on Vista or Win 7 right click and select Run as administrator

Click the Run button if prompted with an Open File - Security Warning dialog box.

A black DOS console should open and run for a moment.

• When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:

1. DDS.txt
    2. Attach.txt

• Save both reports to your desktop
  • Please attach both of the following logs to your next reply: DDS.txt and Attach.txt
    You can ignore the note about zipping the Attach.txt file in most cases.

• Root Admin

You need to either uninstall or fully disable all peer2peer sharing software if you want us to continue to assist you.

P2P software is a very easy way to infect the computer and trying to work on a computer running such software wastes our time.

easymule

µTorrent

Also not accusing you of software piracy but just a warning that you appear to have some very expensive software on the computer along with P2P software which is very often the case of pirated software. If we do find evidence of pirated software we will close your topic and no longer provide any type of support.

To move forward I think we need to make sure the computer is not infected.

I would suggest following the advice from the topic here Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers and having one of the Experts assist you with looking into your issue.

If all comes back clean and you're still having an issue please come back and we'll see what we can do to assist you further.

Thanks

Hi,

I understand about the P2P programs. I installed these some time ago to download some music. I haven't used them in quite awhile. I'll get them removed and then check back in. I'm also not receiving email notifications of posts to this subject. I thought I had notifications enabled. I'll check one more time. Where is the setting for email notifications located? Thanks again and I'll get back here shortly.

Regards,

Monty