ping.exe consuming > 90% more CPU

rtga

Hi,

Few days ago, my computer was infected with fake antivirus/internet security 2012. I was able to remove the fake annti-virus. However, I noticed that ping.exe is active and consuming majority of the system resources.

I ran MB Anti-Malware( Full Scan and Quick Scan ) multiple times. But, still ping.exe is slowing the computer and it is active. I believe some rouge process is piggy backing on ping.exe(valid command).

I am on Windows XP SP 3.

Can you please help me in identifying and removing this rogue process?

Thanks for your help in advance.

RT.

Hello rtga and welcome to Malwarebytes! :welcome:

I apologize for the delay.

I am D-FRED-BROWN and I will be helping you. :)

Please print or save this topic: it will make it easier for you to follow the instructions and complete all of the necessary steps.

-------------

Please download Farbar Service Scanner and run it on the computer with the issue.

• Make sure the following options are checked:
    • Internet Services
    • Windows Firewall
    • System Restore

[*]Press "Scan".

[*]It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.

[*]Please copy and paste the log to your reply.

-------------

Please download to your Desktop:

• TDSSKiller.zip from here and extract it (right click on it => "Extract here").

>>> TDSSKiller: Double-click on TDSSKiller.exe to run the application.

• Click on the Start Scan button and wait for the scan and disinfection process to be over.
  • If an infected file is detected, the default action will be Cure, click on Continue tdsskiller2.png
  • If a suspicious file is detected, the default action will be Skip, click on Continue tdsskiller3.png
  • If you are asked to reboot the computer to complete the process, click on the Reboot Now button. A report will be automatically saved at the root of the System drive ((usually C:\) in the form of "TDSSKiller.[Version]_[Date]_[Time]_log.txt" (for example, C:\TDSSKiller.2.2.0_20.12.2009_15.31.43_log.txt). Please copy and paste the contents of that file here.
  • If no reboot is required, click on Report. A log file will appear. Please copy and paste the contents of that file in your next reply.

In your next reply, please include the following (you may need to use two posts to get it all in):

• TDSSKiller_log.txt
how the PC is running now?
-------------
Please download ComboFix.exe. Please visit this webpage for download links, and instructions for running the tool:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix
***IMPORTANT: save ComboFix to your Desktop***
* Ensure you have disabled all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.
Please go here to see a list of programs that should be disabled.
**Note: Do not mouseclick ComboFix's window while it's running. That may cause it to stall**
Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply for further review.
Also, please let me know if any problems still remain.
-------------
Please print out these instructions or copy them to a Notepad file for an easier reading and download MBRCheck by a_d_13 to your Desktop from one of these locations:
http://ad13.geekstogo.com/MBRCheck.exe
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/rootrepeal/MBRCheck.exe
http://www.kernelmode.info/MBRCheck.exe
Close all opened programs/ windows and double-click on MBRCheck.exe.
It will produce a log file saved automatically on your Desktop as "MBRCheck_[Date]_[Time].txt".
Press the "Enter" key to close the MBRCheck window and post the contents of the log file.
-------------
In your next reply, please include:
  • FSS.txt
  • TDSSKiller report
  • C:\ComboFix.txt
  • MBRCheck report

How is your computer running now?

• 1 month later...

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!