Malwarebytes freezes during middle of full scan

I noticed this happened to some others as well. I want to do a full scan on Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, but at some point during the scan it freezes the whole computer and i have to hold the power button just to shut it off. I would like assistance as to locating and removing this problem. thanks in advance!

Hi, re11ding:

Sorry you are having issues with MBAM freezing during a scan.

Did you follow the advice in your previous topic to do a clean install?

If so, did you see the part about setting up the reciprocal permissions and exclusions between your Firewall/AV and MBAM?

Not having those properly set up is one of the common causes of freezing.

There is info about this here in the FAQ section.

If you can please provide us with a bit more info about your system, we can better assist you:

• What Windows OS (XP, Vista, 7)?
  • What Service Pack?
  • What version of MBAM (current is 1.51.2.1300)?
  • What database version (current is 7833)?
  • What brand and version of anti-virus, anti-malware and/or firewall software do you have?
  • Are you showing any signs of infection (browser redirects, strange popups, program or system crashes, etc)?

Thanks!

daledoc1

Hi, re11ding:

Sorry you are having issues with MBAM freezing during a scan.

Did you follow the advice in your previous topic to do a clean install?

If so, did you see the part about setting up the reciprocal permissions and exclusions between your Firewall/AV and MBAM?

Not having those properly set up is one of the common causes of freezing.

There is info about this here in the FAQ section.

If you can please provide us with a bit more info about your system, we can better assist you:

• What Windows OS (XP, Vista, 7)?
  • What Service Pack?
  • What version of MBAM (current is 1.51.2.1300)?
  • What database version (current is 7833)?
  • What brand and version of anti-virus, anti-malware and/or firewall software do you have?
  • Are you showing any signs of infection (browser redirects, strange popups, program or system crashes, etc)?

Thanks!

daledoc1

Yes i followed those instructions and things were working well for a great while until yesterday. And all of the other stuff i have done as well so the antiviruses should not be conflicting with one another.

Windows 7 Service pack 1

MBAM version 1.51.2.1300

Database version 7833

The only other anti-virus i have is Microsoft Security Essentials. I have the pro version of MBAM if that is important to know. MSE also freezes during the middle of a full scan which makes me believe it's some sort of file that is the problem.

I am currently having no issues with my web browser but i had a random blue screen of death occurred while i was away from my computer for a few minutes. I was not doing any scanning during the time and i still am . these blue screen of deaths are in 640x480 resolution within a large black box. I don't know if that means anything but i thought i'd mention it anyway. I do have a few random program crashes but i've been playing with Sandboxie so it might be the reason for the program crashes.

When the computer freezes in the middle of the scan, the screen will be all distorted with color as if it was abstract art.

Hi, re11ding:

The combination of BSODs & crashes sounds a bit more complicated than just the MBAM freezes you originally mentioned. :(

It could be hardware related, disk problems or malware.

I'm really not sure

In any event, it's over my head as a home user.

I've asked an MBAM expert and forum moderator to assist you.

He will likely need to run some diagnostic tools to help determine the cause of your computer issues.

Please wait for him to reply with further instructions.

Thanks very much for your patience and understanding,

daledoc1

Hi, re11ding:

The combination of BSODs & crashes sounds a bit more complicated than just the MBAM freezes you originally mentioned. :(

It could be hardware related, disk problems or malware.

I'm really not sure

In any event, it's over my head as a home user.

I've asked an MBAM expert and forum moderator to assist you.

He will likely need to run some diagnostic tools to help determine the cause of your computer issues.

Please wait for him to reply with further instructions.

Thanks very much for your patience and understanding,

daledoc1

Thanks anyway. It's been quite a long time since you asked them though. I'll keep waiting though for now.

My problems have been increasing. After doing the clean install of malwarebytes, i thought my occasional BSOD problem was fixed... But it is still occurring. It is completely random when it occurs. I've never had the problem before i updated malwarebytes to its latest program version. Seeing how i can't do a full scan makes it impossible to tell if a virus is causing this. i was attempting to reinstall windows 7 with an upgrade so all the files would be sure to be the right ones but it always game me the message that some installation files are missing or corrupted which isn't true, for i used this disc not too long ago and never had this problem.

All help would be fully appreciated. I'm starting to worry that their might be no solution for this BSOD problem though.

Hi, there:

Sorry you are still waiting.

Unfortunately, the MBAM staff don't all work 24/7/365. :(

I would expect many of them will be back online here on Monday.

If you think this could be malware-related, then please consider one of the 3 options listed below:

If you would like expert assistance with cleaning your system, there are 3 support options from which to choose:

• Option 1 -- Free, Expert advice in the Malware Removal Forum
  • Option 2 -- Free support for paying customers using MBAM PRO -- Contact MBAM Support via email
  • Option 3 -- Premium, Fee-Based Support

OPTION 1

As we don't deal with malware removal in this General MBAM Forum, you need to start a topic in the Malware Removal forum so that a qualified helper can help you fix any malware related problems/infections you may have.

• First, please print out, read and carefully follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete.
  • If the infection has so crippled the computer that you cannot follow most/all of the requested steps, then please just proceed as advised below:
  • Then please post a NEW topic in the Malware Removal forum.
  • When posting your new thread, under "options", make sure to select Track this topic and choose Immediate Email Notification, so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post.
  • One of the expert helpers there will give you free, one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Please do NOT make any further changes to your computer such as (Install/Uninstall programs; use special fix tools; delete files; edit the registry; OR use temp file cleaners, etc...) unless advised by a malware removal helper. Doing so can result in system changes which may hinder the attempts by a helper to clean your machine.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Please DO NOT post back to your topic or "bump" it within the first 48 hours.

Replying to your own posts changes the post count from zero. Helpers are looking for topics with zero replies. If you reply to your own post, helpers may think that you're already being helped and thus may overlook your post. This will only delay your obtaining assistance.

• o If there is no reply from any experts after 48 hours, you can reply to the topic, asking for help again.
    Or
    o You may send a Private Message to a Moderator asking for assistance.

OPTION 2

Alternatively, as a paying customer using MBAM PRO, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org or here.

OPTION 3

If you would like to use the Malwarebytes Premium Services (Comprehensive solutions to all your computer support needs -- from installation and set-up to troubleshooting and tune-ups), please go to the Malwarebytes Premium Services support site.

Please be patient -- someone will assist you as soon as it is possible.

Sorry you're still waiting and thanks for your patience and understanding,

daledoc1

PS: Please use the zMn2t.jpg button instead of other ones when you reply here and at the other forums, so that it will be easier to read. :)