Hijacked email sends link to go-code.net

Holtingar

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I didn't see any better options. here goes.

I got an email on Saturday from my brother-in-law containing a link to something about plugins on "go-code.net". I didn't know it at the time, but his email account was hacked. Normally I would have recognized the email for what It was and deleted it. But since I had just hung up the phone with him a few seconds before receiving the email, I thought it was legit. I clicked on it, and as soon as the window opened, I realized that things weren’t what they seemed, and before the page could fully load I closed it down. I think it was about to redirect me somewhere but I’m not sure.

I ran CCleaner, then restarted in safe mode and ran Malwarebytes, and then Spybot. Malwarebytes didn’t find anything, Spybot found a hijacker of some sort and removed it. A day later I got a message saying that my email account was logged in on another computer. So I shut down, logged onto a different computer and changed my password immediately.

I still don’t know for sure whether I’ve fixed everything, and I don’t know what, if anything, happened in the first place.

I'm not posting the link here for obvious reasons, but is there a way someone can check it out to see what it does? I can't really fix the problem until I know what I'm dealing with and I can't think of any other way to find out what it did. If someone can help, let me know and I'll find a way to send the offending web address for examination.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!