Error Code

I've been having some problems after downloading Malwarebytes yesterday. I resolved those issues but this AM I got a box that says (Open Event) Failed to perform desired action. Error code 2. I wasn't trying to do a scan or anything, I was just reading mail and this message appeared. I checked FAQS and didn't see anything about this. Please help.

Hi, LillysG:

Sorry to hear you are having some problems running MBAM.

I see that you also have 2 other open threads, including 1 at the malware removal forum:

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=89563

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=89573

Are all of these for the same computer?

As just another home user, I might suggest that the best bet is probably to wait for assistance over in the malware removal forum.

If you are infected, the malware could be causing some of these issues.

The expert who picks up your post there will help to troubleshoot to get MBAM working properly as part of the cleaning process.

This will probably be more efficient and less confusing for you than trying to track 3 different topics.

Please be patient, as many of the experts are volunteers, and someone will assist you as soon as possible.

In the interim, excellent, self-help troubleshooting info for getting MBAM to run on an infected machine can be found here.

Let's see what the experts and mods suggest, but that would be my personal recommendation.

Hope this helps,

daledoc1

I don't think I have any virus because Malwarebytes and McAfee are showing nothing wrong when I scan. I just got my computer back from a shop on July 2nd and they had removed 2 viruses. It's a Dell desktop. The only issue I had left until this morning was that Active Update wanting me to download 9.0VR. I already have 9.0VR. Anyway I'm just going to ignore that pop-up. I appreciate all the help that seems to be available here but since I'm not able to understand most of the things I saw on the link you provided I'm waiting as you advised. Quite a few people read my post about the Active Update but nobody replied so I guess it's safe, must mean they never heard of it. I'm going to scan again now with Maywarebytes'. Thanks so much for trying to help me.

Hello LillysG,

Please do the following:

• Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
    • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask and we'll explain how to do it.

Thank you.

This all looks very confusing to me I don't think I can do it. I scanned this morning and have no viruses but still have that error code 2. Can I just leave it as is since I'm still able to scan? Someone else also wrote I shouldn't have 3 topics going at once and I'm sorry I did that but don't know how to delete those or comsolidate them. I'm ready to throw this computer out the window.

Hello, LIllysG:

Yes, all this computer stuff can be a bit daunting at times, especially for us home users.

Just take your time and follow the instructions 1 step at a time.

It might help to print out the instructions, so that you can more easily refer to them.

Mainard's advice in his last post are the standard steps we suggest to resolve minor issues with the MBAM program, such as some error messages.

If you prefer, I have a re-install version that is broken down a bit more into smaller steps.

Either way, it seems more complicated than it really is.

MBAM Clean Re-installation Instructions:

1. Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here.

Note:It will ask to restart your computer; please allow it to do so -- very important!

2. After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus (AV) and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here. (Note: Ignore any promos or ads for other software/products at the mirror sites; and there is no fee to download MBAM Free.)

Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email, if you are using the PRO version.

3. Launch MBAM (and set the Protection and Registration, if you are using the PRO version).

4. Go to the UPDATE tab, if not done during installation, and check for updates.

5. Restart the computer again (and, if you are using the PRO version, verify that the MBAM icon is in the system tray).

6. Set up any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQs here, or ask and we'll explain how to do it. (Specific steps depend on the AntiVirus software vendor & version, and on your computer's OS).

7. Restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications.

8. Add the program folder(s) for your AV and FW to MBAM's "Ignore List".(Let us know if you need help with this.)

9. Set up your scheduled updates & scheduled scans (this only applies to the PRO version). Scheduler help is available here.

10. Run an MBAM Quick Scan.

Give this a try (or follow Mainard's instructions, which are essentially the same) and let us know how it goes.

As for having multiple open topics, it can just be confusing to be working in several topics at the same time.... :)

I assume that you have sorted out your license ID and key issues, so that this is no longer a problem?

And, regarding your malware removal forum post, you indicated in at least one of your posts that you were concerned about an infection - that was the reason for referring you to that particular subforum.

Normally, if one is having both infection- and NON-infection-related problems on the computer, it is best to get it cleaned up first, and then deal with any remaining issues.

HOWEVER, if -- as you more recently stated -- you are pretty sure you are NOT infected, then I suppose it would be OK to proceed with the "clean install" procedures which Mainard suggested, using either his instructions or mine (whichever is easier for you).

Hope this helps?

daledoc1

I know you're trying to help and I am so happy that you are BUT I don't know how to disable MBAM or McAfee. I don't know what it is or how to launch MBAM or set protection. My icon is only showing up at the bottom of my screen sometimes. I don't know how to do # 7 & 8. I have no more problems with ID or License. How important is that error code 2, can I just ignore that?

Sorry this is too confusing still...

Let's wait for the MBAM expert, Mainard, to advise as to the significance of the error code and whether it can be safely ignored.

If he recommends a reinstall of MBAM, then we will try again with clearer instructions on how to do it.

Thanks for your patience,

daledoc1

Hello LillyG,

Let me try to make this a lot less daunting and go with each step with you. IF you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask.

So we will begin by downloading MBAM-Clean.exe

post-60618-0-39776600-1310766383.png

We then want to save this file.

post-60618-0-45726600-1310766384.png

Thirdly, we will save this file to the desktop.

post-60618-0-02258400-1310766386.png

Next, after it downloads to your desktop you will run the application.

post-60618-0-88380300-1310766386.png

Next step is to click the UAC prompt (User access control). This is asking for permission for you to run the file as an administrator (you want to).

post-60618-0-89588700-1310766387.png

After you get passed UAC, MBAM wants to ensure you want to remove it.

post-60618-0-63947800-1310766388.png

After MBAM cleans up all of it's files, it will require a restart. Save all your work and click OK.

post-60618-0-27459500-1310766389.png

After restarting your system Install the new version of MBAM. (If you do not have it it you can download it here) [same directions as downloading and running MBAM-clean.exe]

post-60618-0-79866800-1310766389.png

After you get MBAM reinstalled please let me know. We can then move onto from there.

Again, I appreciate your patience and will assist you further if any questions/issues arise.

Thank you.