Working on friends computer, want to make sure it's clean now

My friend told me her laptop was acting funny with something telling her she was infected, etc... so I told her to bring it to me.

OS: Windows Vista Home Premium Edition, 64 bit, and it's an HP Pavilion dv4.

I noticed the Frostwire icon right away on the desktop. I told her no no no and that it had to go and that she could never use that or anything like that again. I promptly removed it from the machine after scanning with Malwarebytes (since I figured the sooner it was scanned, the better)!

I scanned it with Mbam, and there were about 126 hits. I ran it again after re-boot and it was clean.

I also ran ComboFix. The main reason being because I knew that from prior experience on my machine (with guidance, I did not do it on my own) it hosed my HOSTS file. I was NOT able to get to forums.malwarebytes.org or microsoft.com on her machine, even after cleaning it with Mbam, so I figured the hosts file was screwed up.

I tried a fix first that I found on MS support on their site to reset the hosts file, but it did not work at all, I suspect perhaps due to the lingering infection... or infection leftovers perhaps...

Oddly enough, before cleaning the machine with Mbam, I could update Mbam (I had burned the Mbam setupfile to CD prior, so I didn't actually download it off the web directly on the laptop) but after I cleaned the machine with Mbam, I could not check for updates anymore without an error message.

After running ComboFix, I could then access Microsoft.com, MajorGeeks, Malwarebytes.org, and I manually went to the hosts file and it was clear.

After Mbam and ComboFix, I installed MSE as the machine had no antivirus, and the last antivirus that I could see that the machine had had was Norton and it was installed in Sept. 2009, so probably no AV since the trial ran out...

Also when I went to her Frostwire folder to see what she had in there (pretty must just music), without even opening files, just browsing the folder, MSE popped up at me with a bunch of hits, so I immediately deleted her Frostwire folder in its entirety. She may have a back up of it, and if she does, I will have to tell her to get rid of it... I did another Mbam scan after that and it was also clean.

It might also be worth mentioning she used to have LimeWire on the machine but it is no longer installed, I found this out because she also has a LimeWire folder, but MSE didn't give me any hits on it so I left it alone for the time being.

I then installed the newest version of Adobe Reader X, Flash, updated her iTunes/QuickTime, and installed some outstanding MS updates.

Here are the Mbam & ComboFix logs, as well as some of the results from MSE.

Please advise if anything further should be done or if the machine seems to be clean. She's not in a hurry, so I can keep it as long as I need to.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1.1100

www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 6474

Windows 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2

Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.19048

4/29/2011 2:14:29 PM

mbam-log-2011-04-29 (14-14-29).txt

Scan type: Quick scan

Objects scanned: 165199

Time elapsed: 5 minute(s), 5 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 1

Memory Modules Infected: 1

Registry Keys Infected: 79

Registry Values Infected: 17

Registry Data Items Infected: 6

Folders Infected: 5

Files Infected: 17

Memory Processes Infected:

c:\program files (x86)\gamevance\gamevance32.exe (Adware.Gamevance) -> 3416 -> Unloaded process successfully.

Memory Modules Infected:

c:\program files (x86)\gamevance\gamevancelib32.dll (Adware.Gamevance) -> Delete on reboot.

Registry Keys Infected:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{beaC7DC8-E106-4C6A-931E-5A42E7362883} (Adware.GamesVance) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\GamevanceText.Linker.1 (Adware.GamesVance) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\GamevanceText.Linker (Adware.GamesVance) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{BEAC7DC8-E106-4C6A-931E-5A42E7362883} (Adware.GamesVance) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{BEAC7DC8-E106-4C6A-931E-5A42E7362883} (Adware.GamesVance) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\GamevanceText.DLL (Adware.GameVance) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\avsoft (Trojan.Fraudpack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\avsuite (Rogue.AntivirusSuite) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\AppDataLow\gvtl (Adware.GameVance) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\AdwarePrj.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\agent.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\AlphaAV (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\AlphaAV.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\Anti-Virus Professional.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\AntispywarXP2009.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\AntivirusPlus (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\AntivirusPlus.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\AntivirusPro_2010.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\AntivirusXP (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\AntivirusXP.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\antivirusxppro2009.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\AntiVirus_Pro.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\av360.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\AVCare.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\brastk.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\Cl.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\csc.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\dop.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\frmwrk32.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\gav.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\gbn976rl.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\homeav2010.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\init32.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\MalwareRemoval.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\ozn695m5.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\pav.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\pc.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\pctsAuxs.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\pctsGui.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\pctsSvc.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\pctsTray.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\PC_Antispyware2010.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\pdfndr.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\PerAvir.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\personalguard (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\personalguard.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\protector.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\qh.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\Quick Heal.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\QuickHealCleaner.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\rwg (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\rwg.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\SafetyKeeper.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\Save.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\SaveArmor.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\SaveDefense.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\SaveKeep.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\Secure Veteran.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\secureveteran.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\Security Center.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\SecurityFighter.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\securitysoldier.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\smart.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\smartprotector.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\smrtdefp.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\SoftSafeness.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\spywarexpguard.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\tapinstall.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\TrustWarrior.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\tsc.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\W3asbas.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\winav.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\windll32.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\windows Police Pro.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\xpdeluxe.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\xp_antispyware.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\~1.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\~2.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Gamevance (Adware.Gamevance) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\DisallowRun\0 (Security.Hijack) -> Value: 0 -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\DisallowRun\1 (Security.Hijack) -> Value: 1 -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\DisallowRun\2 (Security.Hijack) -> Value: 2 -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\DisallowRun\3 (Security.Hijack) -> Value: 3 -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\DisallowRun\4 (Security.Hijack) -> Value: 4 -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\DisallowRun\5 (Security.Hijack) -> Value: 5 -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\DisallowRun\6 (Security.Hijack) -> Value: 6 -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\DisallowRun\7 (Security.Hijack) -> Value: 7 -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\DisallowRun\8 (Security.Hijack) -> Value: 8 -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\DisallowRun\9 (Security.Hijack) -> Value: 9 -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\DisallowRun\10 (Security.Hijack) -> Value: 10 -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\DisallowRun\11 (Security.Hijack) -> Value: 11 -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\DisallowRun\12 (Security.Hijack) -> Value: 12 -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\DisallowRun\13 (Security.Hijack) -> Value: 13 -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\DisallowRun\14 (Security.Hijack) -> Value: 14 -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\DisallowRun\15 (Security.Hijack) -> Value: 15 -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\Gamevance (Adware.Gamevance) -> Value: Gamevance -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes\URL (Hijack.SearchPage) -> Bad: (http://findgala.com/?&uid=2164&q={searchTerms}) Good: (http://www.google.com/search?q={searchTerms}&rls=com.microsoft:{language}&ie={inputEncoding}&oe={outputEncoding}&startIndex={startIndex?}&startPage={startPage}) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Start_ShowSearch (PUM.Hijack.StartMenu) -> Bad: (0) Good: (1) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes\URL (Hijack.SearchPage) -> Bad: (http://findgala.com/?&uid=2164&q={searchTerms}) Good: (http://www.google.com/search?q={searchTerms}&rls=com.microsoft:{language}&ie={inputEncoding}&oe={outputEncoding}&startIndex={startIndex?}&startPage={startPage}) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes\URL (Hijack.SearchPage) -> Bad: (http://findgala.com/?&uid=2164&q={searchTerms}) Good: (http://www.google.com/search?q={searchTerms}&rls=com.microsoft:{language}&ie={inputEncoding}&oe={outputEncoding}&startIndex={startIndex?}&startPage={startPage}) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-19\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes\URL (Hijack.SearchPage) -> Bad: (http://findgala.com/?&uid=2164&q={searchTerms}) Good: (http://www.google.com/search?q={searchTerms}&rls=com.microsoft:{language}&ie={inputEncoding}&oe={outputEncoding}&startIndex={startIndex?}&startPage={startPage}) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-20\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes\URL (Hijack.SearchPage) -> Bad: (http://findgala.com/?&uid=2164&q={searchTerms}) Good: (http://www.google.com/search?q={searchTerms}&rls=com.microsoft:{language}&ie={inputEncoding}&oe={outputEncoding}&startIndex={startIndex?}&startPage={startPage}) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

c:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\best malware protection (Rogue.BestMalwareProtection) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

c:\program files (x86)\gamevance (Adware.Gamevance) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

c:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\extensions\{ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}\textlinks@gamevance.com (Adware.GamesVance) -> Delete on reboot.

c:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\extensions\{ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}\textlinks@gamevance.com\chrome (Adware.GamesVance) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

c:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\extensions\{ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}\textlinks@gamevance.com\components (Adware.GamesVance) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Infected:

c:\program files (x86)\gamevance\gvtl.dll (Adware.GamesVance) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

c:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\0.518467204205983.exe (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

c:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\09e64bbc.exe (Rootkit.TDSS) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

c:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\bcxjilffh\chnqyrlsjmo.exe (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

c:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\best malware protection\instructions.ini (Rogue.BestMalwareProtection) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

c:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\microsoft\Windows\start menu\Programs\best malware protection.lnk (Rogue.BestMalwareProtection) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

c:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\microsoft\Windows\start menu\best malware protection.lnk (Rogue.BestMalwareProtection) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

c:\program files (x86)\gamevance\gamevance32.exe (Adware.Gamevance) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

c:\program files (x86)\gamevance\ars.cfg (Adware.Gamevance) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

c:\program files (x86)\gamevance\gamevancelib32.dll (Adware.Gamevance) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

c:\program files (x86)\gamevance\gvun.exe (Adware.Gamevance) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

c:\program files (x86)\gamevance\icon.ico (Adware.Gamevance) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

c:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\extensions\{ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}\textlinks@gamevance.com\chrome.manifest (Adware.GamesVance) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

c:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\extensions\{ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}\textlinks@gamevance.com\install.rdf (Adware.GamesVance) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

c:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\extensions\{ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}\textlinks@gamevance.com\chrome\gvtextlinks.jar (Adware.GamesVance) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

c:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\extensions\{ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}\textlinks@gamevance.com\components\gvtlf.dll (Adware.GamesVance) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

c:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\extensions\{ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}\textlinks@gamevance.com\components\gvtlf.xpt (Adware.GamesVance) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 6474

4/29/2011 2:33:12 PM

mbam-log-2011-04-29 (14-33-12).txt

Objects scanned: 165163

Time elapsed: 5 minute(s), 33 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected: 0

Registry Keys Infected: 0

Registry Values Infected: 0

Registry Data Items Infected: 0

Folders Infected: 0

Files Infected: 0

(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

ComboFix

ComboFix 11-04-29.01 - Owner 04/29/2011 15:20:35.1.2 - x64

Microsoft

• Staff

Hiya :)

Let's make sure everything is gone.

Please update MBAM, run a Quick Scan, and post its log.

Next, download DDS by sUBs and save it to your Desktop.

Double-click on the DDS icon and let the scan run. When it has run two logs will be produced, please post only DDS.txt directly into your reply.

Hiya Screen317 :)

Thank you!!

I didn't want to plug it into my modem just in case and I do not have wireless, so at present I am transferring over needed files and logs via USB drive.

Here is the Mbam log:

www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 6516

5/5/2011 9:48:21 PM

mbam-log-2011-05-05 (21-48-21).txt

Objects scanned: 157922

Time elapsed: 3 minute(s), 32 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected: 0

Registry Keys Infected: 0

Registry Values Infected: 0

Registry Data Items Infected: 0

Folders Infected: 0

Files Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

DDS.TXT

DDS (Ver_11-03-05.01) - NTFS_AMD64

Run by Owner at 21:49:13.80 on Thu 05/05/2011

Internet Explorer: 8.0.6001.19048

Microsoft

Edited by mountaintree16

• Staff

Hi,

If these toolbars aren't being used, there's no use in keeping them around; plus, some are installed dubiously:

TB: Yahoo! Toolbar

TB: Search Toolbar

TB: Google Toolbar

That second one doesn't even sound legitimate.

When you get it back, go ahead and connect it to the Internet.

Next, please run a free online scan with the ESET Online Scanner

Note: You will need to use Internet Explorer for this scan.

1. Tick the box next to YES, I accept the Terms of Use.
  2. Click Start
  3. When asked, allow the ActiveX control to install
  4. Click Start
  5. Make sure that the options Remove found threats and the option Scan unwanted applications is checked
  6. Click Scan
    Wait for the scan to finish
  7. Use Notepad to open the logfile located at C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt
  8. Copy and paste that log as a reply to this topic

Next, download my Security Check from here or here.

• Save it to your Desktop.
  • Double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
  • A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.

Let me know how things are running now and what issues remain.

-screen317

Thanks Screen317 :)

I am pretty sure I removed an Ask toolbar from the machine, so not sure if the second might be leftovers of that or not.

I am already planning on having her bring it back to me for a little bit, so I will let her know that there are definitely a couple things that I need to do on it :)

Edit:

She also just told me, that when she is on Facebook or something, the browser (IE at the moment, I am not sure about any other browsers since she didn't have another one at the time that I know of) will randomly say not responding and it'll have the little loading circle for a little while and it does it a lot, and she is not sure why. This is still happening;

She said that is one of the reasons she realized there must be something wrong to begin with, also she told me that she'd get popups on the computer telling her to buy something to protect the computer. I never saw them, but she said it wasn't all the time. Of course as soon as I was able to after getting it I nuked it with Mbam ;)

Edited by mountaintree16

Got rid of the toolbars (she said she didn't even use them anyway).

I temp. disabled MSE whilst doing the online scan and forgot to re-enable it during the security scan.

ESET:

ESETSmartInstaller@High as CAB hook log:

OnlineScanner64.ocx - registred OK

OnlineScanner.ocx - registred OK

SECURITY CHECK:

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.10

Windows Vista (UAC is enabled)

Out of date service pack!!

Internet Explorer 8

``````````````````````````````

Antivirus/Firewall Check:

Windows Firewall Enabled!

ESET Online Scanner v3

WMI entry may not exist for antivirus; attempting automatic update.

```````````````````````````````

Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Adobe Flash Player 10.2.159.1

Adobe Reader X (10.0.1)

Mozilla Firefox (x86 en-US..)

````````````````````````````````

Process Check:

objlist.exe by Laurent

Windows Defender MSMpEng.exe

Microsoft Security Essentials msseces.exe

``````````End of Log````````````

She hasn't noticed anything other than the circle thing I wrote in my above post; but that does not happen in Firefox.

Should the online scanner be uninstalled?

Also I am not quite sure why your security check is saying out of date service pack; becasue when I go into Control Panel > System and Maintenance > System > It says Service Pack 2. Also the MBAM scan says that it's SP2 :)

Hi Chris,

It's okay.

Ah ha, gotcha. Makes sense. I just wanted to point that out to you, so that you were aware of it.

I don't actually currently have the machine, but I will ask her to bring it by when I see her again, and then I will uninstall the scanner and install IE9 (which will probably be Sunday or Monday or sometime early next week).

In the meantime, will the ESET scanner interfere with MSE in any way?

Other than the circle issue, do you see any other cause for concern?

Thank you :)

You're welcome :)

Okay thanks :)

I'll have her bring it to me sometime this week, uninstall the Eset online scanner and install IE9 and have her test it out.

I will :) Actually if you wouldn't mind keeping this thread open for another week just in case, that'd be good. Otherwise sounds like we are done here :) Thanks for taking a look and helping me out with this, I really appreciate it! :)