Questions from a new user

Hello,

I was recently infected with the xp security 2011 virus. My AV program didn't pick it up until after it was installed on my computer. Long story short, I managed to get rid of it - part of the process was using the free version of Malewarebytes. Because my subscription was up with my AV a few days later, I didn't renew and activated the real time protection. I have 2 questions.

1. Is Malewarebytes considered AntiVirus? Do I need more than just this program for protection?

2. After removal, I'm unable to download updates from windows update. After trying what was suggested on the microsoft help site for the error code, I'm still unable to. I was wondering if anyone has encountered the same here? - Not sure if this is the right place for my questions - and any help is appreciated!

These were the 5 infected items from the malwarebytes log file after removal -

Registry Data Items Infected:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify (PUM.Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify (PUM.Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\UpdatesDisableNotify (PUM.Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Infected:

c:\documents and settings\phil\local settings\application data\gtt.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

c:\documents and settings\phil\local settings\application data\hsm.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Thx Phil

Hello and :welcome:

A couple of things for you... First off, Malwarebytes is not an anti-virus program and you still need to have an anti-virus program installed and up to date. Malwarebytes is designed to work hand in hand as a second layer of protection for your computer.

Second, since you can not update your computer or get to windows update, it means that the infection you had made changes to windows update. Due to that you still have some of that infection running. Just follow the instructions below and one of the experts will help you get you computer back in working order.....

If you think you are infected, here are the steps needed to get your computer cleaned....

Please read the following so that you can begin the cleaning process:

You have 3 Options that you can choose from as listed below:

[*]Option 1

Without going into great detail...

Antivirus Software vs Malware definitions...

Well an antivirus program is designed to detect viruses and it detects them while the files are being downloaded, or when browsing a folder.

Malwarebytes is designed to detect malware and will usually only detect it when it is executed. Malwarebytes Pro also has a web blocker feature that will help protect you from going to known sites that contain malware.

The antivirus software is your first line of defense.

A developer of Malwarebytes may be able to get you a more technical answer if you like.