Odd Ethernet Behavior

tarnhelm

I'm reasonably adept at solving computer problems, but this one has me stumped. I'm running windows XP/PRO SP3 on a homebuilt desktop computer. a little while ago it stopped connecting to our network unless I removed the adapter from the hardware list in device manager and re-scanned for hardware. i decided to replace the card with a new intel pro/1000 gt, but same problem. when I check the card out it tells me tcp/ip is not activated. I suspect there might be a conflict on the network. there are in fact two routers, but they do not share ip address ranges, so there is no possibility of getting the same address. I will probably disable dhcp on the lesser router, though I doubt this will have any effect whatsoever. so far I have been able reinstall the card in device manager every time. My luck could run out though.

Any Ideas? I may ask Intel, though the problem is not different than what I had with my old USR adapter.

thanks.

Hello, if you have two routers and they are both configured for DHCP, it is quite possible that two computers are getting the same IP. Especially if both routers are configured to give the same range of numbers in the DHCP scope.

Disable one from giving IP numbers, or leave both on, just change the range that each one gives out numbers. For example one router can give out a range of say 192.168.1.50 - 100 and the next router could give out a range of 192.168.1.101 - 150. This way they will not give conflicting numbers.

If you have two computers with the same IP, one will loose connection.

that was pleasant. disabling dhcp on the router that is provided by verizon works until the IP address lease expires for the one I need to use for DHCP (a gigabit wireless N router). then all hell breaks loose and I have to do a cold reset of the verizon router. the two minutes it takes to rejig the Ethernet card on every reboot is a breeze by comparison. I'll get to the bottom of it. the router and modem are integrated, so I am stuck with this arrangement for now.