Beware: Social Security numbers available online via indexed tax documents

ShyWriter

post-35425-0-34417700-1303239887.jpg

Beware: Social Security numbers available online via indexed tax documents

By Stephen Chapman | April 11, 2011, 4:38am PDT

As one who keeps up with the cutting edge of search engines and advanced search querying, it is with much reservation and disbelief that I bring you the results of my latest online investigative research. As of 4/10/2011, I have discovered in excess of 50 tax documents containing any given combination of Social Security numbers, credit card information, names, addresses, tax IDs, and phone numbers being made available online. However, unlike recent leaks of email addresses and password hashes being made available due to hackers compromising systems, these documents are being unknowingly made freely available to prying eyes by the very owners of said information.

Sounds unbelievable, right? It gets worse. ce7071b6.png

To clarify, these are tax documents as they have been/will be submitted to State and Federal government: Names, addresses, income, phone numbers, credit card numbers (stored from e-filing), and worse of all, Social Security numbers. The latter is the most detrimental of all not just because of the individual filing their taxes having their identity potentially stolen, but because of individuals who have children that they use for tax credits.

As any parent knows, you must include certain information about your children when using them for tax breaks; namely, their names and Social Security numbers. That takes identity theft into a completely different atmosphere since a child having their identity stolen most likely will not find out until years down the road long after the damage has been done and the perpetrator has vanished. The potential consequences of such ignorance are far-reaching.

Another scenario to consider is for couples who file joint tax returns. Could you imagine if you found out your Social Security number was available for all to see online because your significant other placed your tax documents on a family or business Web site? Never mind the scenario in the paragraph above, then having to tell a child one day that their credit has been destroyed because of such careless actions taken with personal information.

I

post-35425-0-67605100-1303239812.jpg

Edited by ShyWriter

I would NEVER store such a file online, even if I thought it was secure. If you must, obscure your social, etc... first... so it cannot be seen or recovered!