Scanning from a bootable DVD?

With malware getting more and more undetectable wouldn't it make sense for products like Malwarebytes to be sold on a bootable DVD so that an infected system could be booted cleanly and then have the hard disks scanned? I am guessing that a root-kit cannot hide if it is not running.

Thanks

No worries mate, thanks for coming by and posting and for your suggestion.

Since this idea has apparently been bounced around for some time without getting any traction may I ask what the primary objections are? Would scanners such as Malwarebytes require significant redesigns to load into, update, and scan such a system? I guess it would ideally treat the untrusted disks as read-only until the scans were complete. Is this even practical with 2GB of ram?

Thanks.

Well, I am not on the staff nor am I a developer of Malwarebytes, but I believe it has something to do with the way it is designed to work and what makes it most effective is when it runs scans on a computer in normal mode so it can do its best work detecting all the malware.

I am sure one of the staff folks will come by and get you a better answer though....

• Staff

This topic has been brought about many times, at this time we're not working on anything, but that does not mean we won't be in the future.