Desktop PC won't star after infection

Sorry in advance if this is the wrong place to post this but I'm new to the site and really need some help

Yesterday while I was at work, the anti-virus in my computer (avast free edition) expired, now since this is the "house" computer it was still in use and no one seemed to notice the lack of an anti-virus until I got home. After running a full scan with Malwarebytes, it detected 33 infected files. I quarantined the files and ran a new scan, the problem being that apparently windows update decided that that was the best time to install an update and restart the computer. Ever since then, every time I boot-up the computer all I get is the initial DELL boot-up screen then just a black screen with a text pointer at the upper left side, it wont allow me to do anything else. I would post the Malwarebytes log but it's still in the computer. Can anyone offer any help with this?

The Desktop is a dell inspiron 530 with Windows Vista SP2

Thanks for any help that can be offered.

Hello, and Welcome to Malwarebytes

If you think you are infected, here are the steps needed to get your computer cleaned....

Please read the following so that you can begin the cleaning process:

You have 3 Options that you can choose from as listed below:

[*]Option 1