Malware damaged internet connection, how to repair?

Hi,

I have finally managed to clean (I think) the Windows Emergency System Trojan from my PC using both Malwarebytes and Trojan Hunter for good measure. However, despite being able to access the internet for a short time while fixing it by changing the malware .exe file name, it has stopped connecting and I have been unable to restore the connection since.

I am sure it's not the router as I am using it fine wirelessly on my Mac laptop and the other (very old and excrutiatingly slow) PC. The infected PC is Windows Vista and I was using Avast Free Virus protection which I will upgrade once this is fixed. The Trojan was on the computer from Friday 18th and the PC was on all that day, it was off over the weekend but I was trying to fix it all day yesterday until evening.

It would be great if you could help me fix this, I am suspicious of all repair software ads now as most seem to be a scam. Let me know what other info you need....

Best wishes,

Hannah

Hello, and Welcome to Malwarebytes

Please check this set up in your internet controls -

Open Internet Explorer

• Note: It MUST be Internet Explorer, not Firefox, Opera, Chrome or any other internet browser
  • Click on Tools at the top and select Internet Options
  • Note: If you do not see Tools, press the Alt key on your keyboard and it will show up
  • Click on the Connections tab
  • Click on the LAN settings button
  • Under Automatic configuration make sure that the box next to Automatically detect settings is checked, if it is not, then click the box next to it to check it
  • Make sure that Use a Proxy server for your LAN.... is NOT checked (if there is a check there remove it)
  • Click on the OK button to close the Local Area Network (LAN) Settings window
  • Click on the OK button to close the Internet Options window
  • Use this diagram as a guide

If you want to make sure you are no longer infected, here are the steps needed to get your computer cleaned....

Please read the following so that you can begin the cleaning process:

You have 3 Options that you can choose from as listed below:

[*]Option 1

Hi,

Thanks for responding to my post.

I have made the changes in your list. Auto Check Settings wasn't checked but now it is. I have rebooted the PC. No change yet to the connection...

Having done the two anti-malware scans (malwarebytes & Trojan Hunter) I think the PC is ok apart from the Internet connection and a message from Windows Defender saying that the service has been stopped by a problem.

Am I in the right forum for this question? Will post elsewhere if not.

Thanks,

Hannah

Being that you were infected, and the infection caused this, it is quite possible that there is something still there.... Go ahead and follow the instructions I left above for you so that you can post in the HJT section. They will check your logs and help you get it going again...