Malwarebytes Free Download Asking for Money?

A friend of mine told me he downloaded Malwarebytes and it found 1,700 "errors" on his machine. It fixed the first 100 then asked for money to fix the rest.

This doesn't sound right to me at all. I've used this product for years and never has it done anything like this.

Has the free version of Malwarebytes changed in that it will now ask for money at a certain point?

I'm afraid he has gotten ahold of a hacked version.

<!--quoteo(post=387881:date=Feb 11 2011, 02:21 PM:name=MossyRock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MossyRock @ Feb 11 2011, 02:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=387881"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A friend of mine told me he downloaded Malwarebytes and it found 1,700 "errors" on his machine. It fixed the first 100 then asked for money to fix the rest.

This doesn't sound right to me at all. I've used this product for years and never has it done anything like this.

Has the free version of Malwarebytes changed in that it will now ask for money at a certain point?

I'm afraid he has gotten ahold of a hacked version.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You're right. Malwarebytes' Antimalware Free would not ask for money.

A friend of mine told me he downloaded Malwarebytes and it found 1,700 "errors" on his machine. It fixed the first 100 then asked for money to fix the rest.

I'm afraid he has gotten ahold of a hacked version.

Hello MossyRock:

Can your friend remember the URL they used for their download? If so, could you post it here please?

Thank you.

It turns out that my friend Googled only "Malwarebytes" instead of entering the full URL "www.malwarebytes.org" and he ended up going to some other site (actual URL is now unknown) where he ended up getting "Advanced Registry Optimizer". He was able to uninstall it. He finally got the real Malwarebytes and said he was doing a scan but haven't heard back on the outcome. I let him know that "Advanced Registry Optimizer" is listed as a scan and malware on many sites.