CALM Act approved by Congress, should make TV commercials slightly less obnoxious

ShyWriter

2oBAB.jpg

CALM Act approved by Congress, should make TV commercials slightly less obnoxious

By Vlad Savov | Dec 3rd 2010 4:06AM

10x12038h4tr7m.jpg

We did say it'd take an Act of Congress to lower the volume on televisual commercials and, shockingly enough, that's exactly what we've got now. The House of Representatives has given its nod of approval to the Commercial Advertisement Loudness Mitigation (CALM) Act, which, having already cleared the Senate, is now on its way to President Obama's desk for final validation. Once signed into effect, the new legislation will require that all advertisers modulate their volume down so it's no higher than that of the program you're watching, and it'll be the FCC's duty to ensure that they all adhere to the new rule. A year's leniency will be allowed for all those who struggle with figuring out how to turn it down from 11, but after that we should all be able to watch the dying medium that is live television without dreading the commercial breaks.

Via: Ars Technica

Source: Wall Street Journal

--END

~Shy

EDIT: Thank you Steven for correcting Topic Title for me. My hero! :D

Edited by ShyWriter

Cool!

You know what, recently it seems that they've been LOUDER than the program that I'm watching, so hopefully I notice a difference as soon as this is passed... hehe :D

Edit: I don't think that television is going to die anytime soon. I hope not.

Cool!

You know what, recently it seems that they've been LOUDER than the program that I'm watching, so hopefully I notice a difference as soon as this is passed... hehe :)

Edit: I don't think that television is going to die anytime soon. I hope not.

As I was writing that I was just thinking to myself that either my hearing is so bad now I can't tell anyway or they aren't increasing the volume as much as they used to. I used to watch a program on TV with volume a comfortable 22 (on my 0-100 system) and BAM!!, a commercial would come on and I'd have to go to a 12 or so for same listening level. Recently, I haven't had to do it so much on the cable channels I mostly watch. Weird; life is.. :)

RE: Your edit MT; Are you like me; still have that 8-track in the box in the closet waiting for it to come back into style?? :) :) :D:)

Heck; I don't even have a smart phone yet.. I did finally get rid of my Motorola