version 1.50 doesn't complete heuristic scan

3. I checked the anti-virus scanner (Symantec) exclusions option and the only way to exclude from the real-time scanner is by file extension not by file path or file name, so I don't have the option of excluding the mbam related .exe and .dll files.

Which specific Symantec AV product/version do you have? Consumer or enterprise level? Do you have some options blocked by a network administrator?

You may be able to do the exclusion if you can find where Symantec hid the controls. I went to Centralized Exceptions in Change Settings using SEP for my settings. The Important Topics in this forum show the steps for Norton 360. NIS has a section on the settings page (you can exclude files on the local computer).

I remember (fuzzily) NAV & SAV being tougher. You might try the Client Protection Options, click on the folder button, and see if you can get down to an individual file even thoug it says fodlers. Maybe even enter a complete file name where is says to enter a folder. Look at the discussion in "http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/how-exclude-individual-files-sav-101102-ssc" to see if it gives you ideas. I do not advocate making the exclusion in the registry. I do not have access to a system to verify this on.

Worse case for infrequent scans if you are determined: Disconnect your computer from all networks, disable real-time AV protection, do scan, re-enable AV protection, reconnect.

Good luck.

This may help:

Set Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in Norton Internet Security 2011:

1. Open Norton Internet Security and click on Settings at the top
  2. Click on Computer Settings
  3. Click Configure [+] to the right of Items to Exclude from Auto-Protect and SONAR
  4. Click Add
  5. Make sure that Include subfolders is checked in the small Add Item window
  6. Click the small folder icon to the right of the blank white space
  7. In the Browse for Folder window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files
  8. Click once on Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to highlight it and click on OK
  9. Click OK and verify that in the box under The following items are ignored by both Auto-Protect and SONAR: it says C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  10. Repeat steps 4-9 for the following files and folders:
    • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes
    • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
    • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

[*]Once you have all of those items in your list, click on Apply then click on OK to close that window and then click Apply and OK to close the Settings window

[*]Close the Norton Internet Security window

Set Exclusions for Norton Internet Security in Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:

• Open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click on the Ignore List tab
  • Click the Add button on the lower left
  • In the small browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files and click once on Norton Internet Security and click OK
  • Close Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Set Exclusions for Norton 360 in Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:

• Open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click on the Ignore List tab
  • Click the Add button on the lower left
  • In the small browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files and click once on Norton 360 and click OK
  • Close Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Currently I know of now way to set exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in Norton 360 as I do not believe it permits individual application exclusions.

• Click OK and verify that in the box under The following items are ignored by both Auto-Protect and SONAR: it says C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Repeat steps ... for the following files and folders:
    • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes
    • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
    • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

Your list differs from Firefox's (not the browser) in that is does not include "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref". Does that exclusion have no impact?

Thanks to all. The slow scan is still occuring when scan additional items heuristic scan is selected.

The issue does not seem to be the firewall or anti-virus, but rather some other issue with my PC. I will keep looking for answers, and if anyone has further suggestions, I will be happy to receive them, but I doubt that there is a general solution out there. Again thanks.