Computer freezes on MBAM & other scans

Zab

Hi. My computer has been freezing up when I attempt a full scan with MBAM or other malware applications (including Avast). It's never been a problem before. Running the scan in Safe Mode or with Heuristics unchecked in settings doesn't help. (But thanks for the latter suggestion, noknojon.) Quick scan is fine.

It doesn't always lock up on the same file, but the infection (if that's what it is) seems to lurk in one folder: c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386. It's there that the freeze-ups always occur. When I isolate that folder with Windows Explorer and do a right-click dedicated scan there, sure enough, everything locks up and I have to do a cold reboot. (It even locks up when I do a Windows Explorer search on one of the specific files in that folder where the freeze-ups have occurred.)

Anyway, I think I've got a bug somewhere in there, but since EVERY malware and virus program I've run freezes up mid-scan, I can't be certain. It's a puzzler, and I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

Hi,

Please download DDS and save it to your desktop.

• Disable any script blocking protection.
  • Double click dds.com to run the tool..
  • When done, DDS will open two logs (DDS.txt and Attach.txt).
  • Save both reports to your desktop.

Please include the contents of DDS.txt in your next reply.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please download Rootkit Unhooker and save it to your Desktop

• Double-click on RKUnhookerLE to run it
  • Click the Report tab, then click Scan
  • Check Drivers, Stealth Code and uncheck the rest
  • Click OK
  • Wait until it's finished and then go to File > Save Report
  • Save the report to your Desktop

Copy the entire contents of the report and paste it in a reply here.

Note - you may get this warning it is ok, just ignore: "Rootkit Unhooker has detected a parasite inside itself!

It is recommended to remove parasite, okay?"

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!