returnil or comodo time machine?

mbam daz.

hi

after reading several forums on comodo time machine i have decided that this is an unsafe application which apparently can do serious damage to your hard drive and notably the master boot record.

ive always had an interest in returnil.

Im just wondering if anybody knows if this functions the same way as CTM? altering the MBR etc.

i have downloaded returnil and it is just sitting in my downloads folder at the moment and i would appreciate some serious and truthful input on this application as it seems very good in theory.

does it work ok on a 64-bit machine?

kind regards.

hi

after reading several forums on comodo time machine i have decided that this is an unsafe application which apparently can do serious damage to your hard drive and notably the master boot record.

ive always had an interest in returnil.

Im just wondering if anybody knows if this functions the same way as CTM? altering the MBR etc.

Hi mbam daz. and thank you for your interest in Returnil :)

RSS/RVS do not use sector mapping or alter the MBR to provide the virtualization and boot-to-restore functionality. Rather than a disk mapping tool, think of our virtualization as a disk filter. When using the Virtual Mode, changes made during that session are tracked in the cache and then either dropped entirely or:

1. Specific files (or entire folder trees) are saved using the File Manager manually or aromatically to the real system. As opposed to an Exclusion approach, this forces decision making on the user and keeps the content protected until the moment it is to be saved and then "re-protected" following the save operation. With exclusions, the content is left wholly unprotected to serve as a convenience without much thought for security. With RSS/RVS, security is the first thought with convenience being molded to retain that secure state.

2. All changes made during the current virtual session are saved to the real System. This is more advanced and useful from an administration perspective where you can test specific changes before committing them "permanently".

As opposed to other solutions, RSS/RVS work to protect, rather than use the MBR. When in Virtual Mode, no changes are allowed to be made to the MBR and this also includes many forms of low sector editing. As there is no such thing as a silver bullet, RSS and RVS include additional protection that covers this weakness in all single-purpose solutions.

i have downloaded returnil and it is just sitting in my downloads folder at the moment and i would appreciate some serious and truthful input on this application as it seems very good in theory.

does it work ok on a 64-bit machine?

kind regards.

Yes, RVS/RSS are fully compatible with Windows XP 64 bit and above. Some advice when getting started:

1. Make sure you had drive(s) are defragmented before installing RSS/RVS. Though not mandatory, a defragmented drive improves the performance of all programs you may be using and this is also true for Returnil solutions.

2. Ensure your system is clean. Though RSS Pro and Free 2011 includes a fully functional antimalware component which works like the other AV programs you may have used in the past, it is designed to be a team player within the vertical layering and works as a team member to keep your computer clean over time.

Give it a try and kick the tires...hard. We want your feedback and the best way to understand what the program does and how it works to protect you long term is to use it and not be shy about putting it to the test.

Kind Regards

Mike

hello mike.

thank you very much for your advice i really appreciate that.

i think will try returnil at some point.

im not too certain actually if it is the sort of software i need,but the security it offers is fantastic.

thanks again.

regards.

Hello Buttons and Danny:),

I am not treating the MBAM forums as a support forum. As I am a member of these forums, I believe I have a right to provide feedback on any subject I have experience with; be it Returnil, Security, or Privacy.

...thank you very much for your advice i really appreciate that....

Hi mbam daz.,

You are welcome and I am glad I could be of help :)

Kind Regards

Mike