Severely infected. Directed here from the PC Help board

My post over on the PC HELP board fr background.

My computer was working fine but a little slow until last night. I ran ESET Online Scanner to see if there was anything obvious slowing things down. It caught a few things and allw as going fine until I installed a windows media player update. After that was installed the scan seemed to have stalled. I aborted the scan and it cleaned 8 items. I then tried restarting the computer but it would not shut down or restart. I had to do a hard restart and then when I restarted it, the computer would get to the HP screen, ask me whether I wanted to start windows normally or not, and then after I chose start windows normally, it would be stuck at a blank screen. I tried starting in safe mode and it would process 3 lines on the screen and then freeze also. I went into setup and ran a quick and long scan on the hard drive and both came back ok. What could be wrong with my computer? I think I have the recovery cd's but won't be able to get them for a day or two. Anything I can do now? Should the recovery cds solve the problem?

I cannot get windows to boot so I cannot follow any other instructions. PLEASE HELP!!

Hi,

Follow these first steps on another PC:

First, copy this scan.txt to a USB drive.

Please print these instruction out so that you know what you are doing.

OTLPEStd.exe

Size: 97,697,047b / 93.1Mb

MD5: E29EEBA00CCA665A2F04B8695469D986

1. Download OTLPEStd.exe to your desktop.
  2. Ensure that you have a blank CD in the drive.
  3. Double click OTLPEStd.exe and this will then open imgburn to burn the file to CD.
  4. Reboot the infected system using the boot CD you just created.
    Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here.
  5. As the CD needs to detect your hardware and load the operating system, I would recommend a nice cup of tea whilst it loads. :)
  6. Your system should now display a Reatogo desktop.
    Note : as you are running from CD it is not exactly speedy.
  7. Double-click on the OTLPE icon.
  8. Select the Windows folder of the infected drive if it asks for a location.
  9. When asked "Do you wish to load the remote registry", select Yes.
  10. When asked "Do you wish to load remote user profile(s) for scanning", select Yes.
  11. Ensure the box "Automatically Load All Remaining Users" is checked and press OK.
  12. OTL should now start.
  13. Double-click on the Custom Scans/Fixes box and a message box will popup asking if you want to load a custom scan from a file.
    Select Scan.txt on your USB drive.
  14. Press Run Scan to start the scan.
  15. When finished, the file will be saved in drive C:\OTL.txt.
  16. Copy this file to your USB drive if you do not have internet connection on this system.
  17. Right click the file and select send to : select the USB drive.
  18. Confirm that it has copied to the USB drive by selecting it
  19. You can backup any files that you wish from this OS
  20. Please post the contents of the C:\OTL.txt file in your reply.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

Follow these first steps on another PC:

First, copy this scan.txt to a USB drive.

Please print these instruction out so that you know what you are doing.

OTLPEStd.exe

Size: 97,697,047b / 93.1Mb

MD5: E29EEBA00CCA665A2F04B8695469D986

1. Download OTLPEStd.exe to your desktop.
  2. Ensure that you have a blank CD in the drive.
  3. Double click OTLPEStd.exe and this will then open imgburn to burn the file to CD.
  4. Reboot the infected system using the boot CD you just created.
    Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here.
  5. As the CD needs to detect your hardware and load the operating system, I would recommend a nice cup of tea whilst it loads. :D
  6. Your system should now display a Reatogo desktop.
    Note : as you are running from CD it is not exactly speedy.
  7. Double-click on the OTLPE icon.
  8. Select the Windows folder of the infected drive if it asks for a location.
  9. When asked "Do you wish to load the remote registry", select Yes.
  10. When asked "Do you wish to load remote user profile(s) for scanning", select Yes.
  11. Ensure the box "Automatically Load All Remaining Users" is checked and press OK.
  12. OTL should now start.
  13. Double-click on the Custom Scans/Fixes box and a message box will popup asking if you want to load a custom scan from a file.
    Select Scan.txt on your USB drive.
  14. Press Run Scan to start the scan.
  15. When finished, the file will be saved in drive C:\OTL.txt.
  16. Copy this file to your USB drive if you do not have internet connection on this system.
  17. Right click the file and select send to : select the USB drive.
  18. Confirm that it has copied to the USB drive by selecting it
  19. You can backup any files that you wish from this OS
  20. Please post the contents of the C:\OTL.txt file in your reply.

Ok, I wasn't able to do all that but I used the installation cd and the computer booted ok. I think I'm going to back my stuff up and reinstall windows. Thanks!

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

Glad we could help. :)

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!