Possible undetected virus spread by Windows Live Messenger

I need help with a possible virus, and here seemed as good a place to find it as any. (I hope this is the right forum)

The other day, one of my friends was sent a link by somone via windows live messenger, and he clicked it. My friend's computer then sent me the link without him knowing. By reflex, I stupidly clicked the link before reading it (it was pretty obviously a dodgy site, my own email address was part of the link (probably to make people more likely to click)) The site was made to look like Youtube, and as soon as it came up a Java window popped up saying somthing about the site's security certificate (or somthing like that). I canceled the java window and closed the site, now fairly certain I had been infected by whatever it is that causes people's computers to send instant messages to people with the link. I sent out messages to all my contacts telling them not to click the link if it came, and to tell me if 'I' sent one. I searched around a bit and found the site had put a java plugin into java's cache. I deleted it, and told my friend to do the same, which he did. At this point he had already sent me the link a second time. We thought it was gone, and he didn't send the link out to his knowledge at all yesterday, but today he sent another link (same message, slightly different link) to me. We both really want to get rid of this, because while it seems to have no other effects, we can't be sure what it is doing, and it seems pretty hard to tell if you are even infected until your pc starts sending links to people without alerting you.

I have scanned the system with the Anti-Malware software (both quick and full scans, I updated it fully as well) and it still detects nothing on my computer, and while it detected a bit of malware from my friends pc, it hasn't detected a single thing on mine, and yet we both clicked the same link and both closed the site pretty much straight away. The things it found on his pc don't seem to be related to the messenger-link-sending. I am using Vista home premium, while he is on XP. Perhaps this virus or worm or whatever it is can't function on vista?

I've attached a photo of the link as it came through from my friend (complete with my email address on the end) and a photo of the Java plugin we both deleted.

Any help on removing it from his system, and determining whether it is on my system or not is greatly appreciated.

Edited by JeanInMontana
save user from themselves posting email address on the web

Whoa! I wrote my original post, had a shower, and came back, and you had replied... Support here is rediculously fast.

I ran Hijackthis and am attaching the logfile. Now, I'm not sure I even have this IM bot (none of my contacts have said I sent links), but I happen to be going to my friend's house tomorrow (the one who defienitely is infected). If you want I could run hijack this on his pc and give you his logfile somtime tomorrow.

Also, my dad wants to know if you know what this bot does (once you figure out what it is of course). Ie does it just try and trick more people, or is it more intrusive than that.

Here is the Hijackthis log, and thanks for the help.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2

Scan saved at 10:43:24 PM, on 7/10/2008

Platform: Windows Vista SP1 (WinNT 6.00.1905)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6001.18000)

Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:

C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe

C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe

C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE

C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe

C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\jusched.exe

C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe

C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe

C:\Windows\RtHDVCpl.exe

C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe

C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe

C:\Program Files\Mil Incorporated\Mil Shield\ShieldWorker.exe

C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe

C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe

C:\Windows\ehome\ehtray.exe

C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\1.2.1128.5462\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe

C:\Program Files\Steam\steam.exe

C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmpnscfg.exe

C:\Windows\system32\SearchFilterHost.exe

C:\Users\James\Desktop\HiJackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =

R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - (no file)

O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost

O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll

O2 - BHO: AVG Safe Search - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgssie.dll

O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)

O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll

O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll

O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll

O3 - Toolbar: Easy-WebPrint - {327C2873-E90D-4c37-AA9D-10AC9BABA46C} - C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Toolband.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [sunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\jusched.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvSvc] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32\nvsvc.dll,nvsvcStart

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RtHDVCpl] RtHDVCpl.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG8_TRAY] C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MilShieldSlave] "C:\Program Files\Mil Incorporated\Mil Shield\ShieldWorker.exe" -logon

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [sidebar] C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autoRun

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ehTray.exe] C:\Windows\ehome\ehTray.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [steam] "c:\program files\steam\steam.exe" -silent

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\1.2.1128.5462\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WMPNSCFG] C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\WMPNSCFG.exe

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-21-4194434878-835362920-2526815347-1002\..\Run: [sidebar] C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'James')

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-21-4194434878-835362920-2526815347-1002\..\Run: [steam] "c:\program files\steam\steam.exe" -silent (User 'James')

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-21-4194434878-835362920-2526815347-1002\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime (User 'James')

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-21-4194434878-835362920-2526815347-1002\..\Run: [WMPNSCFG] C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\WMPNSCFG.exe (User 'James')

O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000

O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Add To Print List - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_AddToList.html

O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint High Speed Print - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_HSPrint.html

O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Preview - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_Preview.html

O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Print - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_Print.html

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\PROGRA~1\Java\JRE16~3.0_0\bin\ssv.dll

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\PROGRA~1\Java\JRE16~3.0_0\bin\ssv.dll

O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL

O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\windows\system32\wpclsp.dll

O13 - Gopher Prefix:

O16 - DPF: {5D6F45B3-9043-443D-A792-115447494D24} (UnoCtrl Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/EN-AU/a-UNO1/GAME_UNO1.cab

O16 - DPF: {9122D757-5A4F-4768-82C5-B4171D8556A7} (PhotoPickConvert Class) - http://appdirectory.messenger.msn.com/AppD...ap/PhtPkMSN.cab

O16 - DPF: {B8BE5E93-A60C-4D26-A2DC-220313175592} (MSN Games - Installer) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/ZIntro.cab56649.cab

O16 - DPF: {C3F79A2B-B9B4-4A66-B012-3EE46475B072} (MessengerStatsClient Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/Messe...nt.cab56907.cab

O16 - DPF: {D1E7CBDA-E60E-4970-A01C-37301EF7BF98} (Measurement Services Client v.3.12) - http://www.yougamers.com/systeminfo/MSC3.cab

O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/get/shoc...ash/swflash.cab

O16 - DPF: {F5A7706B-B9C0-4C89-A715-7A0C6B05DD48} (Minesweeper Flags Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/MineS...er.cab56986.cab

O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgpp.dll

O20 - AppInit_DLLs: avgrsstx.dll

O23 - Service: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\aawservice.exe

O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe

O23 - Service: AVG8 WatchDog (avg8wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe

O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe

O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe

O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe

O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe

O23 - Service: MilShieldCleaner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Mil Incorporated\Mil Shield\ShieldService.exe

O23 - Service: PnkBstrA - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\PnkBstrA.exe

O23 - Service: Steam Client Service - Valve Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Steam\SteamService.exe

--

End of file - 9038 bytes

I do not see any of the typical signs of a bot in your system . I think I misread your first post and though that your PC was sending the links through IM .

If it is his system doing this then HijackThis should show me what file we need to capture . In most bot cases it will be an 04 designed to look like a real MS or Symantec file .

As far as what these bots do , they read your buddy list and then send themselves to everyone on it with something to the effect of "Hey , this is really funny (link)" or "you have got to see this (link)" . On the other end of the link is usually a web exploit to auto install the same bot or something to the effect of "you need this to watch your clip (link) , often java , active x and flash updates are what is claimed to be missing . In many cases there will be both the "you need to install this" hook and multiple exploits to increase the chances of infection .

This is the botnet building stage , once enough PCs have been botted the bot can be directed to change function , most of the time they change to spambots .

I do not see any of the typical signs of a bot in your system . I think I misread your first post and though that your PC was sending the links through IM .

If it is his system doing this then HijackThis should show me what file we need to capture . In most bot cases it will be an 04 designed to look like a real MS or Symantec file .

As far as what these bots do , they read your buddy list and then send themselves to everyone on it with something to the effect of "Hey , this is really funny (link)" or "you have got to see this (link)" . On the other end of the link is usually a web exploit to auto install the same bot or something to the effect of "you need this to watch your clip (link) , often java , active x and flash updates are what is claimed to be missing . In many cases there will be both the "you need to install this" hook and multiple exploits to increase the chances of infection .

This is the botnet building stage , once enough PCs have been botted the bot can be directed to change function , most of the time they change to spambots .

Hmm, well I guess that means it probably didn't manage to infect me. I visited the site, a java window popped up (and java came up in the systray), but I closed the java window and the webpage. My friend says he did the same (just closed everything down), and yet he is sending out links. (three of them went to me, it was the link from him I clicked originally.) I only found one trace of it on my system, the java plugin mentioned in my first post, but other than that one thing there are no symptoms of being infected. We both deleted our java cache, and I don't seem to be sending links out via msn.

However, my friend is, and tomorrow I can run hijackthis on his pc and give you the log.

I didn't post this topic because I had any real signs of the infection, it was because both my friend and I visited the same site, and both of us closed it down, and he got infected, so I assumed I had been too.

Maybe his security settings were set low enough that it didn't prompt him whether he wanted to install whatever the site wanted to install, whereas for me the settings were high enough that java prompted me, allowing me to cancel it and stay bot-free??? Just a thought.

Maybe his security settings were set low enough that it didn't prompt him whether he wanted to install whatever the site wanted to install, whereas for me the settings were high enough that java prompted me, allowing me to cancel it and stay bot-free??? Just a thought.

It is far more likely that either his OS or web pulgins (java in particular) were not up to date . With out of date software no clicking is required to get infected , the malware simply walks in through the open security holes .

You should have installed HJT to C:\Program Files.

Hang on, how am I supposed to install HJT. The one nosirrah linked me to is just an application... I didn't have to install, it just ran. Does it matter where about it is run from? I just put it on the desktop, ran it and posted the log.

EDIT: Ok, I'm at my friends place now. He installed and ran anti-malware, and it found quite a few things. I'm posting both his hijackthis log, and the logs from the scans he did on anti-malware (one was a long scan that he aborted because of how long it took, and the other was a complete quick scan)

Hijackthis:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2

Scan saved at 11:33:12 AM, on 8/10/2008

Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16705)

Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe

C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\aawservice.exe

C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PIFSvc.exe

C:\Program Files\CA\CA Internet Security Suite\cctray\cctray.exe

C:\Program Files\CA\CA Internet Security Suite\CA Anti-Virus\CAVRID.exe

C:\Program Files\SPAMfighter\SFAgent.exe

C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe

C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe

C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\WMPNSCFG.exe

C:\Program Files\CA\CA Internet Security Suite\CA Anti-Spyware\CAPPActiveProtection.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe

C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe

C:\Program Files\CA\CA Internet Security Suite\CA Anti-Virus\ISafe.exe

C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehRecvr.exe

C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehSched.exe

C:\Program Files\CA\SharedComponents\PPRT\bin\ITMRTSVC.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe

C:\Program Files\SPAMfighter\sfus.exe

C:\Program Files\CA\CA Internet Security Suite\CA Anti-Virus\VetMsg.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\mqsvc.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\mqtgsvc.exe

C:\Program Files\CA\CA Internet Security Suite\CA Anti-Spyware\PPCtlPriv.exe

C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe

C:\Program Files\CA\CA Internet Security Suite\ccprovsp.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe

C:\Documents and Settings\Valued Customer\Desktop\HiJackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = www.google.com

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = www.google.com

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = www.google.com

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&a...n&pf=laptop

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local

R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll

O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll

O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll

O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll

O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\3.0.1225.9868\swg.dll

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {C3574458-F08F-4CF5-AD6F-9B0A87F119F1} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\fccaYopp.dll (file missing)

O2 - BHO: STOPzilla Browser Helper Object - {E3215F20-3212-11D6-9F8B-00D0B743919D} - C:\Program Files\STOPzilla!\SZIEBHO.dll

O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll

O3 - Toolbar: Easy-WebPrint - {327C2873-E90D-4c37-AA9D-10AC9BABA46C} - C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Toolband.dll

O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll

O3 - Toolbar: STOPzilla - {98828DED-A591-462F-83BA-D2F62A68B8B8} - C:\Program Files\STOPzilla!\SZSG.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [symantec PIF AlertEng] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PIFSvc.exe" /a /m "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\AlertEng.dll"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [cctray] "C:\Program Files\CA\CA Internet Security Suite\cctray\cctray.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CAVRID] "C:\Program Files\CA\CA Internet Security Suite\CA Anti-Virus\CAVRID.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [sPAMfighter Agent] "C:\Program Files\SPAMfighter\SFAgent.exe" update delay 60

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AppleSyncNotifier] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleSyncNotifier.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VetStart] "C:\Program Files\CA\CA Internet Security Suite\CA Anti-Virus\vetmsg.exe" -r

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WMPNSCFG] C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\WMPNSCFG.exe

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [DWQueuedReporting] "C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\DW\dwtrig20.exe" -t (User 'SYSTEM')

O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [DWQueuedReporting] "C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\DW\dwtrig20.exe" -t (User 'Default user')

O4 - .DEFAULT User Startup: Vongo Tray.lnk = C:\Program Files\Vongo\Tray.exe (User 'Default user')

O7 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System, DisableRegedit=1

O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000

O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Add To Print List - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_AddToList.html

O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint High Speed Print - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_HSPrint.html

O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Preview - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_Preview.html

O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Print - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_Print.html

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll

O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=EN_US&c=64&bd=pavilion&pf=laptop

O16 - DPF: {149E45D8-163E-4189-86FC-45022AB2B6C9} (SpinTop DRM Control) - file://C:\Program Files\SCRABBLE\Images\stg_drm.ocx

O16 - DPF: {67A5F8DC-1A4B-4D66-9F24-A704AD929EEE} (System Requirements Lab) - http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/sysreqlab2.cab

O16 - DPF: {6A344D34-5231-452A-8A57-D064AC9B7862} (Symantec Download Manager) - https://webdl.symantec.com/activex/symdlmgr.cab

O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftu...b?1186763770984

O16 - DPF: {CC450D71-CC90-424C-8638-1F2DBAC87A54} (ArmHelper Control) - file://C:\Program Files\SCRABBLE\Images\armhelper.ocx

O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{92D24B08-6922-4F78-80FA-4447F6767144}: NameServer = 202.5.191.130,202.5.191.160

O20 - AppInit_DLLs: C:\WINDOWS\system32\__c009A419.dat

O23 - Service: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\aawservice.exe

O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe

O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe

O23 - Service: CaCCProvSP - CA, Inc. - C:\Program Files\CA\CA Internet Security Suite\ccprovsp.exe

O23 - Service: CAISafe - Computer Associates International, Inc. - C:\Program Files\CA\CA Internet Security Suite\CA Anti-Virus\ISafe.exe

O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe

O23 - Service: CA Pest Patrol Realtime Protection Service (ITMRTSVC) - CA, Inc. - C:\Program Files\CA\SharedComponents\PPRT\bin\ITMRTSVC.exe

O23 - Service: PPCtlPriv - CA, Inc. - C:\Program Files\CA\CA Internet Security Suite\CA Anti-Spyware\PPCtlPriv.exe

O23 - Service: SPAMfighter Update Service - SPAMfighter ApS - C:\Program Files\SPAMfighter\sfus.exe

O23 - Service: VET Message Service (VETMSGNT) - CA, Inc. - C:\Program Files\CA\CA Internet Security Suite\CA Anti-Virus\VetMsg.exe

--

End of file - 9087 bytes

Here are the two malwarebytes anti-malware logs.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.28

Database version: 1239

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

7/10/2008 9:17:32 PM

mbam-log-2008-10-07 (21-17-31).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|D:\|)

Objects scanned: 79814

Time elapsed: 34 minute(s), 50 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 1

Memory Modules Infected: 0

Registry Keys Infected: 2

Registry Values Infected: 0

Registry Data Items Infected: 0

Folders Infected: 0

Files Infected: 4

Memory Processes Infected:

C:\WINDOWS\WindowsUpdate.exe (Backdoor.Bot) -> Failed to unload process.

Memory Modules Infected:

(No malicious items detected)

Registry Keys Infected:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{96f9443c-79d2-47c2-8568-10d86089b8d3} (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{96f9443c-79d2-47c2-8568-10d86089b8d3} (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\xocand.dll (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\WindowsUpdate.exe (Backdoor.Bot) -> Delete on reboot.

C:\Documents and Settings\Valued Customer\Local Settings\Temp\ojcakefd.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

C:\Documents and Settings\Valued Customer\My Documents\Desktop folder (shortcuts)\Sonic Foundry Acid Pro 4.0 + Sound FORGE 7.0 + kEYGENS + MANUALS\Sound Forge 7.0 + ssg keygen\keygen.exe (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.28

Database version: 1239

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

7/10/2008 9:30:19 PM

mbam-log-2008-10-07 (21-30-19).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan

Objects scanned: 54875

Time elapsed: 6 minute(s), 8 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected: 0

Registry Keys Infected: 7

Registry Values Infected: 4

Registry Data Items Infected: 1

Folders Infected: 0

Files Infected: 8

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\rdfa (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\contim (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\dslcnnct (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\IProxyProvider (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\FCOVM (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\RemoveRP (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\aoprndtws (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices\Windows Update (Backdoor.Bot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\Windows Update (Backdoor.Bot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\Windows ARP Detectionc (Backdoor.Bot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\bmc324fac9 (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\StartMenuLogOff (Hijack.StartMenu) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\install_flash_player.exe (Backdoor.Bot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

C:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-21-2942173233-4271784067-3151358590-1005\Dc158.exe (Backdoor.Bot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\mcrh.tmp (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\cookies.ini (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\pskt.ini (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\BMc324fac9.xml (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\BMc324fac9.txt (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\clkcnt.txt (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Now, we know he was sending links prior to the malwarebytes scan, and he hasn't been on msn long enough to know if it is still there afterwards. So there should either be evidence of the IM bot in his hijack this log, or it should say somwhere in the anti-malware scan that it has been deleted. That's what I'm hoping anyway, because that means I'm not infected. If there is no mention of the IM bot in any of the logs, I guess that means it may be on my system.

Just posting to ask if anyone has looked over my friends hijackthis and mbam logs. Seeing as I edited my old post to include the info (I usually try not to double-post on forums) I guess no-one looked at it as there were no more actual posts. That, or I'm just being impatient. :)

yes it does matter where HJT is installed

if installed to temp there is no way reversal/ backup info can be saved

if to desktop it can quickly overwhelm your desktop

therefore

install to a file

if you download directly from trend micro website it will create a folder for you (recommended)

generally HJT logs are looked at only in the malware removal forum

see "computer help" forum section below

I'd suggest separate topics for both you and your pal

please read the instruction stickie and be prepared to follow instructions exactly :)

DO NOT REPLY TO YOUR OR YOUR PAL's first POST

Patience

(of course MB staff can do whatever they want- I'm just commenting on a possible reason your hjt has been overlooked-

no one usually looks for them in the general forum)

I'm just commenting on a possible reason your hjt has been overlooked-no one usually looks for them in the general forum

C:\Documents and Settings\Valued Customer\My Documents\Desktop folder (shortcuts)\Sonic Foundry Acid Pro 4.0 + Sound FORGE 7.0 + kEYGENS + MANUALS\Sound Forge 7.0 + ssg keygen\keygen.exe

No , actually this is why , we do not help thieves .

BTW , keygens and cracks are almost always either 100% malware or a working crack that also is malware . Either way you loose .

Hang on, how am I supposed to install HJT. The one nosirrah linked me to is just an application... I didn't have to install, it just ran. Does it matter where about it is run from? I just put it on the desktop, ran it and posted the log.

EDIT: Ok, I'm at my friends place now. He installed and ran anti-malware, and it found quite a few things. I'm posting both his hijackthis log, and the logs from the scans he did on anti-malware (one was a long scan that he aborted because of how long it took, and the other was a complete quick scan)

No need, your logs indicate you've been screwing around with warez and pirating software. We will not assist you.

One or more keygens is most likely where your friend picked up the infection in the first place.

This is one of the possible consequences you can face when dealing in illegitimate software.