Two quick questions about Defogger and dds.scr

Hi everybody, thanks ahead of time for any help!

I've got two quick questions while following the "I'm infected - What do I do now?" instructions for preparing a post:

Question 1. Defogger - Do ALL systems require a reboot after finishing the "disable" step using Defogger? I don't receive any error message during the "disable" step, but a "defogger_disable" log appears on my desktop after clicking 'Finished!' (posted below) and the program does not ask for a reboot as the instructions suggest should be expected. (My OS is Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium if that is helpful)

defogger_disable by jpshortstuff (23.02.10.1)

Log created at 08:54 on 02/11/2010 (Guest Acct)

Checking for autostart values...

HKCU\~\Run values retrieved.

HKLM\~\Run values retrieved.

Checking for services/drivers...

-=E.O.F=-

Question 2. dds.scr - Is there a way to run dds.scr as an administrator AS IS? It will briefly run as a non-admin, but then produces a window asking to choose which program should be used to open "PEV.DAT." I found that running it as admin, for example by right-clicking the program after renaming to "dds.exe," will allow it to finish running and produces a very nice-looking log file, but I'm unsure if changing the extension alters the programs functionality in any way.

Sorry if these are silly questions, I'm just trying to make sure I've properly followed the forum's instructions before asking for help with a malware problem.

Thanks again for any help.

-stockfishfan

Hello stockfishfan

Welcome to Malwarebytes.

=====================

Defogger doesn't always ask for a reboot it is used to de-clutter the antirootkit scan logs.

However dds always prompts to run as admin.

Please try the following program instead.

• Download OTL to your desktop.
  • Double click on OTL to run it.
  • When the window appears, underneath Output at the top change it to Minimal Output.
  • Under the Standard Registry box change it to All.
  • Check the boxes beside LOP Check and Purity Check.
  • Click the Run Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
    • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
    • Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files, one at a time, and post it with your next reply.

Hi kahdah,

Thanks for the quick reply, it's very much appreciated!

But before any more time is invested by you or any of the other generous volunteers, I'm willing to declare my malware problem resolved. Although I never made it to the point of describing my malware problem here, it appears that a bug/quirk in the Google Chrome browser was imitating one of the symptoms of some malware that Malwarebytes' had just removed, causing me to believe it wasn't fully disinfected. At this point though, I'm 99% sure it's fixed.

Although...one reason I was concerned enough to post on this forum is because Malwarebytes' didn't create a log after my computer was restarted to complete the removal process. I therefore wasn't able to confirm full dis-infection by further investigating the particular specimen responsible for my problems. Can such a "lost log" be recovered in any way?

Thanks again for responding. Sorry I started a topic for something that's most likely nothing... :welcome:

-stockfishfan

• 2 weeks later...

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!