Napster

amanda84

I recently had a huge problem and took my computer to a place that installed Malwarebytes and Microsoft Security Essentials on my computer. The only problem is that now neither Napster nor iTunes work on my computer anymore. I was just wondering if this was a Malwarebytes problem or a Microsoft security essentials problem.

In Napster the problem window pops up when you try to sign in and it says "Sorry we are unable to sign you in. Please check your Internet Connection and try again. If you are using a firewall, please make sure that Napster is registered as an allowed program."

Obviously I'm connected to the internet, because I'm posting on this forum...

And the correct boxes are checked in the firewall system to "allow access"...

please help! or tell me where I can get help!

Hi -

Napster was an online music peer-to-peer file sharing service created by Shawn Fanning while he was attending Northeastern University in Boston -

Malwarebytes paid version will block P2P and uTorrent programs , while MSE may be finding infections on the site -

These are programs that we advise to Fully stay away from -

Thank You -

Noknojon,

Napster used to be illegal/p2p.

That is no longer the case. You purchase music from Napster now, similar to how you purchase music from iTunes, Rhapsody, etc...

I am not sure if the Napster music is p2p now but I would imagine that that is not the case since the downloads are paid for and legal now.

amanda84,

What operating system do you have?

Is anything else not working, or just Napster and iTunes?

As a side note, when replying, please use the "ADD REPLY" t_reply.gif button located at the bottom of the page.

How do you know she's using the older version?

Yeah, a really old version would be p2p, but I doubt they're still be people pooling music into it, since the version would have to be at least 4 years old, maybe older, and since it's been legalized now and you pay for the music, I doubt it's p2p.

I just know that when I go to some stores, I see gift cards for Napster, iTunes, Amazon MP3, along with other gift cards for sale, and I know Napster was legalized and pay-for-your-music several years ago.

FYI

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napster

Napster was an online music peer-to-peer file sharing service created by Shawn Fanning while he was attending Northeastern University in Boston. The service operated between June 1999 and July 2001.
After a US$2.43 million takeover offer by the Private Media Group, an adult entertainment company,[19] Napster's brand and logos were acquired at bankruptcy auction by Roxio, Inc. which used them to rebrand the Pressplay music service as Napster 2.0.

In September 2008, Napster was purchased by US electronics retailer Best Buy for US $121 million.[20]

I take back my previous statement, the old version would be 9 years old (not at least 4) and very unlikely to work still, since the original was shut down about 9 years ago.

If you are using a firewall, please make sure that Napster is registered as an allowed program.

You need to make sure these programs are either properly installed , or as in the statement you made , make sure these programs are allowed as exclusions/allowed with your Firewall or antivirus programs - The repairer may have also upped your security settings for some areas -

Thank You -