Help Windows Firewall!!

I think a virus deleted my firewall and stopped my Windows Vista from Installing Updates because it won't work..Can anyone help me turn on my Firewall manually without using Windows Update that won't work? Thanks...Oh yeah and Malwarebytes is a life saver

• Root Admin

Hello , and welcome to Malwarebytes.org

Run the following commands from an elevated DOS prompt:

Open the Command Prompt window by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking All Programs, clicking Accessories, and then Right clicking Command Prompt and choose Run as admin

netsh advfirewall set domainprofile state on

netsh advfirewall set privateprofile state on

We don't work on Malware removal in the general forums so if you think your system is infected...

Please print out, read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someon has replied to your post.

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org

I did the command prompt but this is what I got....

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6001]

Copyright © 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>netsh advfirewall set domainprofile state on

An error occurred contacting the firewall. Make sure that the Windows Firewall s

ervice is running and try your request again.

C:\Windows\system32>netsh advfirewall set privateprofile state on

An error occurred contacting the firewall. Make sure that the Windows Firewall s

ervice is running and try your request again.

C:\Windows\system32>

Ok I went there..and when I clicked "Turn Windows Firewall on or off"..i get a pop up saying

"Windows Firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated service is not running. Do you want to start the Windows Firewall service?"

I click "Yes"

Then it says starting windows firewall service...

Then i get a Message saying "Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall service"

The only option i have is "ok" then it closes

Im guessing it was a bot? then it deleted my firewall...I went to "regedit.exe" then

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>Software>Policies>Microsoft..and WindowsFirewall is not there...maybe a virus deleted it....

Is it possible for a virus to Stop a Installation from installing?

• Root Admin

Yes it's very possible for Malware to block or damage software files or settings.

Please follow the directions below and someone will assist you in scanning for any possible Malware.

We don't work on Malware removal in the general forums.

Please print out, read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someon has replied to your post.

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org