Virus - computer won't boot.

Hi, I would really appreciate some help.

My son went on a website yesterday which installed something onto his computer, unfortunately he turned it off and now it won't boot up.

It will go as far as the screen which gives you options to start in safe mode, normal or check point etc, I have tried them all and it begins to load, the windows start up screen comes on, but then it goes off and the options screen reappears again.

Thanks.

Hi, it's running on windows xp home edition-sp2.

Whilst I've been waiting I have,

*pressed f8 and got advanced start up to appear, but it wouldn't start from there, it kept doing the same as I described in my first post.

*followed the instructions on the back of the recovery cd, which is go into the BIOS setup change the sequence the system bios searches for drives and try to start up from the recovery cd. This is the blue screen with white writing, with instructions to re-format, but a message comes up saying that it can't do it because of damage, error or something, can't remember all the wording.

There wasn't an option at that point to backup files, (unfortunately I have been here before and with the help of one of your team managed to save both the data and reformat the computer, but it was so long ago I can't remember what I logged on as or what to do.)

Hi,

Let's see if we can make OTLPE run.

We will need to to download a program called OTLPE. This program is quite large, at 292MB, so it will take a while to download. In order to get this program setup properly, please print out these instructions so you can follow them when you are at the computer we will be working on.

First

Please download ISOBurner, which will allow you to burn the OTLPE ISO image to a CD and make it bootable. Just download and install the program and follow all the default questions.

Second

• Download the OTLPE.iso to your computer and burn it to the CD using ISOBurner. Information on how to burn an ISO image using ISOBurner can be found here.
    NOTE: This file is 292Mb in size so it may take some time to download.
  • When the file has finished downloading, double-click on it and ISOBurner will automatically open and prompt you to burn the ISO image to a CD.
    Save the following text to your USB stick as scan.txt. It must be named this, or the automated scan won't work.
  • Copy the lines in the codebox below to the clipboard by highlighting ALL of them and pressing CTRL + C (or, after highlighting, right-click and choose Copy):
    /md5start
    iaStor.sys
    nvstor.sys
    atapi.sys
    IdeChnDr.sys
    viasraid.sys
    AGP440.sys
    vaxscsi.sys
    nvatabus.sys
    viamraid.sys
    nvata.sys
    nvgts.sys
    iastorv.sys
    ViPrt.sys
    ahcix86.sys
    KR10N.sys
    nvstor32.sys
    ahcix86s.sys
    nvrd32.sys
    symmpi.sys
    adp3132.sys
    Si3112r.sys
    /md5stop
  • Reboot your system using the boot CD you just created.
    Note:If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD, please follow the steps here.
  • When the CD has finished booting your computer, you should now see a REATOGO-X-PE desktop.
  • Double-click on the OTLPE icon that is on the desktop.
  • When asked Do you wish to load the remote registry, select Yes.
  • When asked Do you wish to load remote user profile(s) for scanning, select Yes.
  • Ensure the box Automatically Load All Remaining Users is checked and press OK.
  • OTL should now start. Change the following settings
    • Change Drivers to Use SafeList
    • Double click in the custom scan area
    • You should be presented with a message Do you wish to load a custom scan from a file? Click Yes.
    • Browse to the scan.txt file on your USB stick, and click Open. The custom scan will then appear in the Custom Scans/Fixes window.
    • Press the Run Scan button to start the scan.
    • When finished, the OTL.txt log file will be saved in the folder C:\.
    • If you do not have an Internet connection to the post the contents of the OTL.txt file, then copy this file to a USB drive.
    • Then post the contents of the OTL.txt file in your next reply.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Angua,

Please do this:

Copy the green bolded into notepad and save it to your flash drive. Name it OTLscript.

netsvcs

msconfig

safebootminimal

safebootnetwork

activex

drivers32

%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\*.

%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\*.exe /s

%APPDATA%\*.

%APPDATA%\*.exe /s

%SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.exe

/md5start

userinit.exe

eventlog.dll

scecli.dll

netlogon.dll

cngaudit.dll

sceclt.dll

ntelogon.dll

logevent.dll

iaStor.sys

nvstor.sys

atapi.sys

IdeChnDr.sys

viasraid.sys

AGP440.sys

vaxscsi.sys

nvatabus.sys

viamraid.sys

nvata.sys

nvgts.sys

iastorv.sys

ViPrt.sys

eNetHook.dll

ahcix86.sys

KR10N.sys

nvstor32.sys

ahcix86s.sys

/md5stop

%systemroot%\system32\drivers\*.sys /lockedfiles

%systemroot%\System32\config\*.sav

%systemroot%\*. /mp /s

%systemroot%\system32\*.dll /lockedfiles

Next.......

• Download OTLPE from either location and save it to your desktop:
    http://oldtimer.geekstogo.com/OTLPEStd.exe
    http://ottools.noahdfear.net/OTLPEStd.exe
  • Double click the OTLPENet icon on your desktop
  • Do you want to burn the CD? choose Yes
  • ImgBurn will automatically extract and load the OTLPE Iso to be burned to CD
  • Place a blank CD in your CD-Rom
  • Click imgbrn.png to start the burn process
  • You will see a dialog Operation successfully completed
  • Boot the non-working computer using the boot CD you just created
  • In order to do so, the computer must be set to boot from the CD first
    Note : For information click here
  • Your system should now display a REATOGO-X-PE desktop.
  • Double-click on the OTLPE icon.
  • When asked Do you wish to load remote user profile(s) for scanning, select Yes
  • Ensure the box Automatically Load All Remaining Users is checked and press OK
  • OTL should now start
  • Plug in your flash drive
  • Under the Custom Scan box copy and paste the contents of the OTLscript you saved to your flash drive
  • Push runscanbutton.png
  • When finished, the file will be saved in drive C:\OTL.txt
  • Copy this file to your USB drive.
  • Please post the contents of the C:\OTL.txt file in your next reply.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Root Admin

Due to the lack of feedback this Topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!

The fixes and advice in this thread are for this machine only. Do not apply the instructions from this thread to your own machine. Please start a new thread describing your issue and someone will be along to assist you.