mbam.exe closes mid scan, then blocks access

My buddy dropped his laptop off to me to fix this crazy virus. The computer originally had windows police pro on it.

I was able to get rid of that, but I'm having the hardest time ever to get mbam to run. The computer is still infected with pchealth

and a few others. I renamed the mbam installer to installer.com then i got it to run and open. I click quick scan it starts to scan it gets like 10 files into the scan

then it closes the scanner out. When i try to click on it again it says access denied. But it only does that to the one mbam.com file. I tried it a few times to see if it was the virus blocking me from using it....and it is sad.gif I read that it will change the malwarebytes folder to read only so that you can't rename the files. So i changed the settings so that it wasn't read only, and it still blocks me from using mbam.com............please help. I can't get the computer to recognize my mp3 player flashdrive anymore, so i can't transfer over any other scan tools. I've been going through the registry trying to manually remove this with no luck. But i was able to fix my .exe extension reroute. The virus made it so that any .exe file automatically opened pchealth sad.gif

Hello mastaof420! Welcome to MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware Forums!

My name is Borislav and I will be glad to help you solve your problems with malware. Before we begin, please note the following:

• The process of cleaning your system may take some time, so please be patient.
  • Stay with the topic until I tell you that your system is clean. Missing symptoms does not mean that everything is okay.
  • Instructions that I give are for your system only!
  • If you don't know or can't understand something please ask.
  • Do not install any software or hardware, while work on.

Step 1:

Go into C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and you will see a file called mbam.exe Right click on it and drop down to Rename change the name to firefox.com From mbam.exe to firefox.com . Please, restart your computer.

Step 2:

• Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Go to "Update" tab and select "Check for Updates". If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Go to "Scanner" tab and select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
  • The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy&Paste the entire report in your next reply.

Extra Note:

If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer,please do so immediatly.

Step 3:

Download DDS and save it to your desktop from here or here or here.

Disable any script blocker, and then double click dds.scr to run the tool.

• When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:
    1. DDS.txt
    2. Attach.txt

[*]Save both reports to your desktop. Post them back to your topic.

Step 4:

Please download the following scanning tool. GMER

• Open the zip file and copy the file
    gmer.exe
    to your Desktop.

• Double click on
    gmer.exe
    and run it.

• It may take a minute to load and become available.

• Do not make any changes. Click on the
    SCAN
    button and DO NOT use the computer while it's scanning.

• Once the scan is done click on the
    SAVE
    button and browse to your Desktop and save the file as
    GMER.LOG

• Zip up the
    GMER.LOG
    file and save it as
    gmerlog.zip
    and attach it to your reply post.

• DO NOT
    directly post this log into a reply. You
    MUST
    attach it as a
    .ZIP
    file.

• Click OK and quit the GMER program.

In your next reply, please include these log(s) in this sequence:

1. MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware log
  2. DDS log with Attach.txt
  3. GMER log

• Root Admin

Due to the lack of feedback this Topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!

The fixes and advice in this thread are for this machine only. Do not apply the instructions from this thread to your own machine. Please start a new thread describing your issue and someone will be along to assist you.