No logon in normal or safe mode (XP) after Malware performed "removal after reboot"

Hi - I am mending an XP PC and malwarebytes found a virus in "embdtrst.dll" which is said it couldn't delete and would to after a restart.

Well it restarted but I now get a blank screen with just the mouse pointer and no logon. CTL-ALT-DEL does not work. Same in Safe mode with the addition of the "safe mode text".

I read a near identical post on here where someone suggested installing another XP in another folder and then using that install to access the original Xp install to then email you some files/configs.

Could you help me with this? Which data would you need?

Thanks in advance

Hello dodgey99, and welcome to Malwarebytes.org

As it seems you were infected, and trying to remove the infection caused your system to malfunction due to the infection, you will need help from the experts. Please follow the below instructions and please be patient as it may take a little while for someone to help you out as they are quite busy in that section.

We don't work on Malware removal in the general forums.

Please print out, read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post.

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org

If you are a corporate customer please send an email to corporate-support@malwarebytes.org. (NOTE: An order number is required for corporate support.)