Computer freezing and basically breaking

chimpy

I have done that thanks exile, the file still has all that writing at the top missing, but that is nothing to worry about?

Should I worry that something re set SB? I thought the hosts file was protected so things like that should not happen unless its really bad ;)

That's normal, you don't have to worry about the missing comments as they don't do anything :). I've never checked it myself but I suspect that Spybot simply deletes those comments to save on space in the HOSTS file. As for worrying, just run all your scans (AV, MBAM, Spybot) and make sure that everything checks out OK. You can also do an online scan to double-check that nothing bad is going on. Here's some instructions on how to use my personal favorite online scanner ;):

Run Kaspersky Online AV Scanner:

Go to this Kaspersky website and perform an online antivirus scan.

Note: Use Internet Explorer for this scan.

• Read through the requirements and privacy statement and click on Accept button.
  • It will start downloading and installing the scanner and virus definitions. You will be prompted to install an application from Kaspersky. Click Run.
  • When the downloads have finished, click on Settings.
  • Make sure these boxes are checked (ticked). If they are not, please tick them and click on the Save button:
      Spyware, Adware, Dialers, and other potentially dangerous programs
      Archives
      Mail databases

[*]Click on My Computer under Scan.

[*]Once the scan is complete, it will display the results. Click on View Scan Report.

Thanks Exile I will! I hate it when little things go wrong and I cannot get to the bottom of it :) so thank you for your help! Hopefully this will be clean.

One last question, SWB did not need re-protecting after the deletion like SB did so I wonder that prog does not used the hosts file, and lastly do you have the link for Hosts man ;) how difficult a prog is it to use?

SpywareBlaster doesn't use the HOSTS file, only the Restricted Sites zone for IE and Firefox as well as Cookie restrictions and the ActiveX killbit which blocks known malicious ActiveX controls so it would not be affected by this.

HostsMan is fairly easy to use, I'd recommend asking Mountaintree16 about it. She has tons of info on it now and she's eager to teach ;).

Kap scan was clean although I noticed it did not seem to count the objects scanned for the first 5-10 mins and I forgot to disable AVG!. I think you are right and it was possibly AVG just deciding to take a dislike to it!

Many thanks Exile ;)