Question on quick scan

Hey guys,

Thanks for the great discount at Bitsdujour. I couldn't resist, and purchased a license.

I ran a quick scan and it took over twenty minutes to complete. I thought that was a little too long.

I think the problem is this: While scanning, I noticed it was scanning a huge number of temporary internet files.

I had thought that I deleted all these files before starting the scan, but apparently not.

The temporary internet files were in this main path: C:\Documents and settings\Wife's name\local settings\temporary internet files\Content.IE5. \ Blah blah blah.

I suppose that is referring to Internet Explorer 5, but I don't even remember using IE5 on this machine.

When I try to locate these files by going to that file path, I get this message when clicking on "Wife's name", C:\Documents and Settings\Wife's name\ is not accessible. Access is denied. If I hover the mouse over this folder, it says the folder is empty. My wife has no idea as to what's going on.

I'd like to be able to locate and delete these files, as I believe that would greatly shorten the scan time.

Anybody got any ideas as to how I find these files?

Thanks again for your generosity.

It is a good idea to run a cleaner like CCleaner before doing a quick scan. It will improve the time it takes it to complete.

The reason you can not access your wifes files is because she has a password and she has set her profile to private.

Log on to each users account and run ccleaner on each account.

Thanks guys,

I ran a scan with Glary utilities and it found a ton of temporary internet files under my wife's account. I deleted them and thought that I had fixed the problem. Wrong!

I did another quick scan and it still scans for all those files that I mentioned earlier. It still took 21 minutes which isn't that long, but I think it could be a lot quicker if I could find and delete those files.

My wife claims that she doesn't have a password and didn't set her profile to private.

I still don't understand why IE5 is showing up.

Thanks guys

If you are logged in as an administrator you should be able to access:

C:\Documents and settings\Wife's name\local settings\temporary internet files\Content.IE5

Unless the profile is set to private.... (she may have done it without realizing it).

You could always log in as her, and run CCleaner and it will delete those.

If you are logged in as an administrator you should be able to access:

C:\Documents and settings\Wife's name\local settings\temporary internet files\Content.IE5

Unless the profile is set to private.... (she may have done it without realizing it).

You could always log in as her, and run CCleaner and it will delete those.

Thanks for the help.

I logged into my wife's account under her user name and ran Glary utilities, which is similar to CC, and then cleaned all the temporary internet files it found.

I then did another quick scan with MBAM and it still scanned those same files I mentioned in my first post.

Apparently, I still cannot locate those files.

When you say that my wife may have set her profile to "private", are you referring to her setting a password for her account, in user accounts in the control panel?

I have gone to all user accounts, and my account is the only one with a password. Is there another way to set a private profile that you refer to?

As far as I know, I am always logged in as an administrator.

Thanks.

You can try booting into safe mode and login with an admin account and see if you can browse to that folder so you can delete its contents.

Before trying to browse to that folder make sure your folder options are set so you can see them.

In folder options:

Click on View Tab

Under Hidden Files and Folders: Click on Show hidden files and folders

Also (just temporary) Uncheck the Hide protected operating system files. Once you are done make sure you check this back.

Now browse to that folder location and delete the files you wish to delete.

Firefox,

Thanks again for your efforts.

I did as you suggested and still cannot locate or delete those files.

I went into Glary Utilities again and found the exact file path that I'm looking for, and deleted a few files and rechecked, and they appeared to be gone.

Ran another scan with MBAM and they were still being scanned. Wow!

I watched the scan as closely as possible and the scan took 25 minutes to complete. It took 19 minutes to just check the files I'm trying to find and delete.

I'd love to know where MBAM is finding these files.

Anyhow, I can live with a 25 minute scan as I really wont be scanning all that often. It's just frustrating to not be able to figure out a problem. Oh well.

Thanks again for hanging with me.