two queries from a newbie

1) do i have to update malwarebytes (free version) manually by clicking on "check for updates" button? or will the update be done automatically ......... if not automatically, then will malwarebytes at least notify me that a latest version is available for update?

2) malwarebytes detected 4 infected files......tried to remove them........malwarebytes shut down my system to complete the removal process.......after my computer re-started, i found the infected files in quarantine..........so have the infected files been removed or quarantined...? and should i keep them in quarantine?

Hello devv, and welcome to the forums here at Malwarebytes.org :)

1) You need to manually update Malwarebytes if you are using the free version by pressing the Check for Updates button. It will not tell you when a new version is available - you need to check. However, when a new PROGRAM version is available, it is announced here on the forum :) You should update your database (Check for Updates button) prior to a scan.

2) The files get placed into quarantine just in case in the rare event there is a False Positive and you need to restore something :) Items in quarantine are rendered dead and cannot harm your computer. You should keep them in quarantine, yes. If you experience no issues after a week or two of placing the items in quarantine, you may press the "Delete all" button and they will be removed from quarantine (and yes, its perfectly safe to do this).

Hope this answered your questions!

As a side note, when replying, please use the "ADD REPLY" button at the bottom of the page as this makes the forum easier to read. Thank you :)

You should always check for any update prior to any scan (there may be from 2-5 base Version updates per day) - Any Major Program update releases are usually noted on the MBAM front page - (EG - from 1.43 to 1.44)

1) do i have to update malwarebytes (free version) manually by clicking on "check for updates" button? or will the update be done automatically ......... if not automatically, then will malwarebytes at least notify me that a latest version is available for update?

Once quarantined, they are removed from your system, do not remove the log file as it may be required if you want assistance with other problems -

2) malwarebytes detected 4 infected files......tried to remove them........malwarebytes shut down my system to complete the removal process.......after my computer re-started, i found the infected files in quarantine..........so have the infected files been removed or quarantined...? and should i keep them in quarantine?

I have basically confirmed what mountaintree16 said-

Thank You - :)