Anti-Malware (and others) won't run

Good evening all,

A while ago my computer started an annoying habit of shutting down at the login screen citing a problem with Services.exe so since then I've been running msconfig whittling down the problem. It seemed to be the "driver32" option in my system.ini. Then more recently I had some impromptu resets whilst using Chrome. I did a Windbg on the minidump file and it came up with Chrome.exe and win32k so I stopped using Chrome, but found the same problem with Firefox.

I've been having issues with my wireless connection - the browser would say the page could not be found despite the adapter and Netgear software saying it had a good signal, connection and IP address etc. Only when I reselect the network and 'validate settings' again does the browser start finding pages again. This may be a separate issue as it had been a lot worse (dropping off every minute) until I sat the whole box on a crate to lift it off the floor by 6in and - aside from this current issue - is working like a normal connection. As I say, this could be unconnected.

I downloaded and installed current versions of HJT, mbam and adaware. I can install mbam but after 3 or 4 seconds of runnign a quick scan, the program dissappears - no error message, nothing. I try to run it again but the program's icon has reverted back to the generic windows executable icon and I'm told there may be a permissions issue. A similar thing happens with HJT but without it installing at all.

I've had windows auto-update try installing the malicious software removal tool (Jan 2010, KB890830) for a week or two now but it doesn't seem to manage it - it's still on the update list. Other updates have installed without issue.

I tried combifix which just gave me a blank error message before restarting my machine. I did successfully download, install and run Avira AntiVir which found a couple of warnings but no viruses. Today, my symantec antivirus popped up with a detection of the TR/Dropper trojan and has successfully quarantined the affected file. Then, the services.exe shutdown message appeared at the logon screen a few times. I've disables all my system.ini options from the msconfig screen.

I'm running WinXP Pro SP2.

I'm not a complete novice to these things, but I'm happy to be treated like an idiot just to make sure I'm doing the right thing to fix it.

Many thanks to anyone who can help.

Hello Chimeric, and welcome to Malwarebytes.org

It sure sounds like you got some malware running on that computer. Please follow the below instructions:

We don't work on Malware removal in the general forums.

Please print out, read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post.

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org